Wipers juddering very badly...any advice?

Sunnyvip

Think i will go autobac get the Glass Compound as Bro Carlover76 is strongly recommending it....Hopes it will get rid of my windscreen juddering problem once and for all....

[thumbsup][thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

Avoid putting any windscreen cleaner like rain X etc....if so, or if the judder persist, put some amourall on the rubber part of the wiper, it will do away the problem and it is also a way to preserve the life of the wiper. Mine lasted 3.5 years by doing this, and park under the sun for quite a period of time per day.

put some amourall This is the blue car wash liquid?

I will attempt to solve this glass compound mystery once and for all.

First glass compound is from Takehara Pro-Staff.

[inline kiirobin.jpg]

I use this. It is around $8.50 for 200g I think. Dunno why but the 120g version is more expensive if you look at $/g unit pricing. Comes supplied with the sponge. Application is is easy, wet screen and start rubbing to polish. It is afterall, cerium oxide in some cream base. At first the compound on a silane treated glass will start to bead it but after a while of scrubbing, it sort of forms a smooth mud cover paste on it. In a way, it tells you that you have successfully polished away the silane layer.

There is a version that comes with the sponge attached to the bottle. More expensive and waste of money.

Instructions here: http://prostaff-jp.com/kiirobin.htm

The next, which I don't have a picture of is Silicon-X. Unlike Prostaff's stuff above, it is white. Same procedure.

Lastly, call Mr Sheeto. He supplies the pure cerium oxide polishing powder. The stuff is damn powderful, pun intended. You need to add some water to make a slurry but very little is needed and you can scrub a thin layer to polish.

Finally, if you don't like juddering wipers because you travel such low speeds to take advantage of silanized glass windscreens, then use these to get rid of the silanized layer. FYI, silanized glass windscreens are effective if your car travels faster than 70kph.

post-14-1167381074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Genie47

Hi Bluemice,

Got the brand genie showed....but in the end, tried the Glaco Glass Compound, which I found lying at hm (dang - shld not hav spent more $$$$ [furious])....all are essentially cerium oxide...

Okay guys, here is what i did:

- Thanks to Prof Genie, we know it's cerium oxide (CeO). But which one?

- Ans: all of them.

What I did is to use Google language translate and then look for that ingredient on the japanese brands on sale at Autobacs

cerium oxide (CeO) --> セリウムの酸化物 ....

it can flip as in oxide cerium --> 酸化物のセリウム

key is this: セリウム --> that's cerium

Apply, polish hard, till smooth and dry, use a bit of alcohol (turtlewax glass cleaner okay) to agitate the applicator, polish again till dry, wipe clean residue and you are done....

I recommend the soft99 compound polishing sponge - it's a blue backing with thin strip of black compound sponge to polish the screen....

Southpark

The Dude - hope that helps!!! Happy shopping!!! [scholar]

BTW, wat to avoid? i.e., the dreaded silicone, rite? That's シリコーン for all you folks...

Edited by Southpark2000

Hi Fortress

You mentioned put some amourall on the rubber part of the wiper....

Which product of armourall??

Thks.

Just to add my observation....but nid prof genie's help here....I cld be way wrong; oso I hav no way to scientifically validate it except from observation and logic:

SITUATION

- Some have coating; some don't

- Some have silicon like Rain-X; others don't

- Some of them face juddering; some don't

WHY?

Hypothesis

- Besides the obvious culprits like coating, grit and grime, wipers, etc. I submit that there might be another intervening variable. Specifically:

The interaction between the coating and the wiper fluid

Think about it:

- Assuming you hav Rain-X and Prof Genie says alkaline makes the silicone return to glass state...

- Wat pH level is your fluid likely to be? mostly alkaline

- In other words, the wiper fluid was trying to remove the very coating you put on... sweatdrop.gif

- That's why it juuuudddderrs....some are removed, other parts are not!!!

- If you don't have coating, then is yr wiper solution silicone based? You sure?

- Or do you change / try different wiper fluid? Maybe some have coating properties?

- Reaction? Counter-reaction? dizzy.gif

Solution

Hence, my suggestion is this:

- Remove all coating using cerium oxide

- And.....then coat yr screen with whatever you put in your wiper fluid

- Yup, pour a bit of watever you gonna put as wiper fluid onto a clean sponge and coat the screen.

- For those Rain-X users, then use Rain-X / silicone coating wiper fluid

- Else plain water....

- Stick to one fluid. Yup. Be monogamous.

Hope that might help.

Southpark

The Dude - Grateful for any field report for anyone who has tried it...

I have done it and hav no problems thus far.... thumbsup.gif

Edited by Southpark2000

Hi all

My wipers have been juddering very badly whenever i turn it on.

The wipers are new (new ride collected about 3 wks ago) and it was fine and it happened about a week ago.

Spoke to some friends and they mentioned to wipe away the dust from the wiper blade and also clean the windscreen with glass cleaner (the type of blue solution we use to wipe our windows at home).

Have done it but still no use.

Any kind bros/sis out there can give advice?

Many thks!!

Hi, my idea may have been said by others coz I didn't go thru but just jump to ur thread. You can try dipping a clean lint-free cloth in petrol, not too much, and wipe ur windscreen with it. Then let it air dry. It should work coz i ever experienced the same thing until my dad suggested so and after that, NO MORE porblems!

Pure water is acidic. I think the wiper wash is slightly alkaline but not strong enough to remove the silane layer. Between silane and oxide, oxide is more stable and the glass will try to become oxide. Usually the -OH from an alkaline will supply the O to change the H in the silane to O. However you need lots of it. My experience in the lab, about 5M concentration. That is enough to burn a hole through anything.

However, the wiper wash fluid is good enough for a good glide albeit temporary.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Genie and the rest,

Just to check, after you applied the glass compound, how long will it last? For me, when I applied the autoglym glass compound, it will at most last for say...50 wipes and thereafter judder again. Anyone got the same experience? Btw, I have just changed my rubber wipers...so cannot be the wipers..

Edited by Mika140

Neutral Newbie

Try Bosch Aerotwin. It's sleek, no judder but a bit expensive though. Most new cars come with it (e.g. BMW, Alfa and Honda too).

↡ Advertisement