Component speakers, no amp?

Bigtoothpick

[thumbsup]

I am not also into ICE and I will do the minimun most of the time, just to share my experience.

EK Civic - Only install "infinity" components speakers with 2nd hand Kenwood head unit, improvement is good enough for me. Spent about 500.

ES Civic - Original Head Unit sucks big time .... sound quality is like transitor radio. Install Amp, Woofer and speakers but I keep the original HU as I like the design/look. Spent above 1.2k.

At the end of the day, quality of sound = $$$$$. If it is good enough for your ears - go ahead as there is always improvement that can be made with $$$$ and it can be a never ending story. My friend driving a GS300 upgraded his original Levinson system but I was not so impressed when I sit in his car. My take, ICE is pretty individual.

↡ Advertisement

Bro, finally I change to helix b62c comp spkr.

Found that my Sony hu can't drive it's midbass, so sq worse than stock w active sub.

Den, tried pioneer 6350 hu - now as good as shop setup.

But my active sub may or may not need to b used, at most low boost.

So I conclude comp spkr must match hu.

ahaha.. really poisonous.. backside itchy, went to turn on fader to hear only rear stock spkr - muffled like fish..

chg to helix e106 coax for rear ones..

now really satisfied that my current setup is better than some amp-ed cars i've sat n listened... opened up all doors n blast, clarity n bass up!!!

So many members here say the same thing

and I completely agree with them.

I cut and paste as they say it better than me.  [thumbsup]

:D  

Bro, many yrs since last posting. Sharing my current setup. Also no amp, with outdated diamond audio m651 comp spkr at front, rodek Kevlar comp spkr at rear w/o x-over n tweeter, both woofer cone 5.25", n a pioneer active sub from prev ride. It produced the sound I like, like listening with my earphone. Vocals, acoustical instruments n bass r very decent if not good. Hu is pioneer 8850. Did dual layer soundproof using Stp Aero for front doors, n single layer same for rear sliding door. For your reference.

Listen to the Hertz with and without amp.

These speakers are very efficient so an amp is not a must have but just a nice to have.

Not all speakers are the same.

I agree. Autobacs did a setup for Hertz spkr but I don't remember which model. Only loudness difference. I found it too bright for my liking. Not sure if eq can make it sound easier on the ears
  • Praise 1

Agreed that the music you listen to is the most important when choosing the right type of setup for yourself. Different brands also have their own sound signatures.

Out of interest, what music do you guys use to test speakers/headphones?

Mine is Hotel California (must be one of the live ver I have). Every instrument and voice was recorded in such clarity.

Twincharged

aiyah why waste money on ICE in the car. buy a decent set of headphones and can be used everywhere and in the car too. you can a consistent sound for cheap. !

in case naysayers say i never touch ICE before, my old setup from years years ago:

Sony CDX-C90 + XDP4000

Butler Tube 4x75w for 3" mids and tweeters

PPI- PCX4125 4x125. bridged 2channel for sub and other 2 for 6.5"

Dynaudio 3-way (cant remember exact model number)

12in rockford sub.

not high end in any way, but decent enough close to 20years ago.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

aiyah why waste money on ICE in the car. buy a decent set of headphones and can be used everywhere and in the car too. you can a consistent sound for cheap. !

in case naysayers say i never touch ICE before, my old setup from years years ago:

Sony CDX-C90 + XDP4000

12in rockford sub.

Unless you use headphones that are non sound isolating, isn't it dangerous?

But I think it's a good idea for Jamesc when he's driving his MIL.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Unless you use headphones that are non sound isolating, isn't it dangerous?

But I think it's a good idea for Jamesc when he's driving his MIL.

Should be Quite safe. Those in a Lexus also cannot distinguish between knocking into a tree branch and a person due to the good insulated cabin and everything was ok.

So Should also be ok for headphones. Haha. But honestly what’s the diff to those who blast loud ICE while driving.

Edited by Mkl22

Should be Quite safe. Those in a Lexus also cannot distinguish between knocking into a tree branch and a person due to the good insulated cabin and everything was ok.

So Should also be ok for headphones. Haha. But honestly what’s the diff to those who blast loud ICE while driving.

Haha, not everything was ok; she was fined and banned from driving for 1 year.  [smash]

I am seldom alone when I drive, so it's ICE for me. For you... I dunno what to say except drive safe.

Sony CDX-C90 + XDP4000

12in rockford sub.

Driving safety aside, I won't dispute that. Not forgetting there's always road n wind noise to affect that "perfect" sounding ice
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Driving safety aside, I won't dispute that. Not forgetting there's always road n wind noise to affect that "perfect" sounding ice

it was just in jest! i never ever did use headphones when driving.

On 3/31/2011 at 7:23 AM, Fuelsaver said:

not quite agree..

i went to hear the gnd 0 & morel comp spkr w amp at dimxxxxxx audio - sound so muffled, esp w the alpine amp caused it to be really soft; like no amp! my stock speakers definitely clearer than these except no bass.

i went autoxxxxx entxxxxxxxx to hear helix b62c comp spkr w/o amp - sound so LIVE.

go hear for urself. low power comp spkr dont really need amp. really. i find it a misleading that ICE shops r offering amp & spkr package - at least the should couple w mid-hi end spkr if they do so...

i'm starting to believe we dont need to even have an amp & subwoofer - i find it overly loud n bassy. of cos, if u open ur car doors to blast music, dat another thing altogether.

The reason the Helix sounds so live is because it has very good Transparency and Neutrality.

It can be driven by the head unit without an amp is because its a high efficiency speaker.

😀

Helix without amp driven by a 40 watts RMS head unit

Helix no amp driven by 40 watts head unit and active sub in the boot.

Honestly better than a lot of systems driven by high powered multi channel amps.

• Praise 2

If you need to run a sub as well as front component and can stretch to 89 USD then can consider this. 4 channel amp.

Champagne audio on a beer budget

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1