How to improve low end torque for auto car...

Hexy

Change to hi-flow filter

Change to Iridium plugs/thicker plug cables

Re-map the ECU/Add a piggyback or standalone

& lastly,

Increasing the displacement of the engine [thumbsup]

Edited by Atlantis_boi

The amount of bull on this forum is amazing!!!

Ok. the trick to getting more torque and power in any car (be it auto or manual) is this...

1) Get better flowing exhausts and intake systems.

2) Better sparkplugs and leads. And better sparkplugs means those that give a better spark which means none of the iridium or platinum crap- only pure copper (none of that nickle plated copper bull either) or silver plugs. A good quality ignition lead with good shielding is a must. Grounding helps in this area too! Voltage stabilisers might help but don't quote me on that.

3) Retune. Make sure its both the AFR's and the ignition timing maps and not just the AFR's.

This is as basic as it gets. Just those 3 together will make a difference. Forget all those fuel magnets etc.

If you want to go a little further but keeping it simple then a slighly more aggresive exhaust cam (not over the top just one step up will do) can be lumped in with the 3.

Anything over than will mean forced induction, g/box out or engine out mods.

Another thing that might help would be say if you car can take 2 tyre profiles (e.g. mine take 175/65R14 or 185/60R14), using the one with a smaller rolling diameter (185 in my case) will help a tiny bit.

Neutral Newbie

Depends on how "low" is low end torque.

Most mods increases high rpm output, sacrifice low rpm performance, just because you increate intake/exhaust flow up top, but becomes overkill for low end. A straight through muffler(police alert) may help low end abit, but CAI/open pod almost always decrease low rpm performance.

For low end torque, use piggy back to run your low rpm rich to squeeze tiny bit out. Advanced timing will also improve some low rpm torque.

Most effective "low end" improvement is to unload 100kg of things from your car.. haha.

Or increase your throttle body diameter. There are 2 types of bore-ing....

- Funnel bore where the diameter is taped down to the butterfly valve...

- Full bore where the diameter is increased thru out the throttle...you need to replace the bass butterfly valve plate to fit the increase.

Mine understanding is that usually its increased to abt 2mm in diameter.

But best complete with a piggy back to re-map the AFC

Actually I felt using a low profile does wonders...I changed my civic ES from 15" to 17"...it kill my throttle respone [furious]

Should have kept it at 15"

Neutral Newbie
Keep to original air intake ducting. Do not use straight through muffler. Put some magnet on the fuel line.

magnet?????..... u must be kidding bro..... but true on the straight thru though.... think semi flow will be better for auto... cheers [:)]

Neutral Newbie

I've not seen much data about exhaust flow. But I'd think a straight flow muffler will allow exhaust gas to escape faster in all RPM. Stock muffler design is usually quite conservative and restrictive.

I believe switching to larger exhaust pipes is the one that can negatively affects low rpm performance.

Edited by Zrun

Depends on how "low" is low end torque.

Most mods increases high rpm output, sacrifice low rpm performance, just because you increate intake/exhaust flow up top, but becomes overkill for low end. A straight through muffler(police alert) may help low end abit, but CAI/open pod almost always decrease low rpm performance.

The CAI/open pod has to be matched to the exhaust in order to get torque. Thats the thing abt torque... harder to increase than power... too much = less torque, too little also = less torque.

For low end torque, use piggy back to run your low rpm rich to squeeze tiny bit out. Advanced timing will also improve some low rpm torque.

Yup a retune is a must. Advancing timing may not help. its exactly like the too much too little thing i said. Theres a "sweet spot" for torque on this (in case anyone else wants to ask its vehicle specific, it will be roughly the same for the same model but the exact timing will be slightly different).

Most effective "low end" improvement is to unload 100kg of things from your car.. haha.

Of course... anyone want their car stripped when i get back. should take abt an hr... everything bar the front seats, carpet and dash [sweatdrop][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

But you're right we should mention for better pickup... lose the ICE [laugh] and AC [rolleyes]

Edited by Elfenstar

it would help, but only if its more restrictive than the intake... if not no point.

besides doing that to the tb takes longer than it would to put a new cam in [laugh], plus you need to be more precise. takes me abt 1.5-2hrs max to swap a pair of cams.

you're right on the wheels though... nobody realises how impt rolling diameter is in relations to changing the torque char of a car is.

Edited by Elfenstar

Neutral Newbie

oh i c..... larger exhaust pipe meaning the pipe linking frm header to the muffer? think that certainly will affect the low end... lots of ppl frm wrkshop whom i spoke to most of the time will recommended semi flow for auto... due to autocars need certain back pressure for the low end. my frd FD auto civic change to straight thru for only 3days.. give up due to lack of low end.... now back to orignal exhuast.. [laugh][laugh] damn waste $$$$$ [:/]

↡ Advertisement