In a dilemma

Beanoyip

Turbocharged

Just pondering over this situation now. Hope fellow skodians can help out.

My skoda is coming to its 6th year very soon, in mid july actually. Paper value will be about 36k if i scrap soon. Outstanding loan about 8k.

Overall the car is still in OK condition. Not sure what will happen within the next few months or so.

So the thing now is, whether its worth to scrap the car now and get a new car. I'm looking at a few cars actually.

1) Octavia RS

2) Golf GTi

3) Honda Civic

4) Legacy GT

↡ Advertisement

For conti I will opt for the Octavia RS for sure. Bigger boot compared to the Golf.

If jap make, then the Legacy GT will be ideal, power and nice! If wanna save on petrol then get civic.

If wanna save money, then drive on the Octavia. [:)]

Tot Octy II vRS not available? It's my first choice tho. tongue.gif

Personally will rule out Civic.

Between Golf GTi and Legacy GT. GTi is HOT hatch but GT has more power and space. So it's up to your priority.

Neutral Newbie

If going conti, RS will be better, provided the pricing is reasonable.

If want to change to jap, personally the GT gets my vote.

Neutral Newbie

My view is to keep the car if it got no problem and you still enjoying driving it nod.gif

If wanna change,

for Jap, go for the Legacy GT as Civic is another category though...why not Integra Type R?

for Conti, both Octavia RS and Golf GTi are nice...Octavia RS got my vote thumbsup.gif

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Your choice of cars is similar...except I will drop Civic...too common already (sorry Skodarr)

If the Golf TSI 1.4 is here, will surely be my choice too...

Get a new car if you think you want to change...if not can keep your Octy since paper value still high...it is high due to the COE?

My skoda is coming to its 6th year very soon, in mid july actually. Paper value will be about 36k if i scrap soon. Outstanding loan about 8k.

Overall the car is still in OK condition. Not sure what will happen within the next few months or so.

So the thing now is, whether its worth to scrap the car now and get a new car. I'm looking at a few cars actually.

1) Octavia RS

2) Golf GTi

3) Honda Civic

4) Legacy GT

For me... not another Skoda, the 2 choices would be Golf GTI and Legacy GT...

Depending if you're gonna leave it stock, both cars have good modding potential, but jap would be easier as more local workshops are better with jap cars as opposed to conti cars (and the sensitive DSG)

The vRS would have little parts to play with unless you ship them from Europe (expensive shipping, less parts available online as opposed to VW although Skoda has just entered the Australia market - but shipping would still kill as opposed to from USA - Strange but true)

Transmission wise, the DSG would be more fun to play with (paddle shifts)

LGT comes with the Mckintosh ICE... and a bigger boot...

Another thing to take into consideration would be the FSI engine in the GTI... which requires ron 98 and above...

But then again the LGT would sip fuel too... so ... if you're a rice boy and would soup it up and you want the luxurious feel, go for the LGT.

If you're still young at heart (and not an old man like me...) go for the hot hatch GTI while you can before the kids arrive [laugh]

Turbocharged

Thanks for all your comments.

However i feel the price of Golf is rather on high side.. quite a heavy burden on my pockets.

The RS would be fairly nice if its ard the 95k range. But like you said, lil parts and stuff.

As for LGT and Civic, no offense to japanese cars. After driven a conti car for so long. Hard to switch to a jap car.

Golf will definitely be my 1st choice. We'll see how it goes.. [;)]

Turbocharged

Oh yes i did test drive it.. i love it actually.

Whats more its going for 102k now.. [cool]

Neutral Newbie

LGT going for 102k??

Last Sat when I was lingering around Leng Kee, pop by the agent and they quote the LGT at a much lower price. 89k or 98k, something like that.

Of course, just poking my nose around the showrooms for fun, so didn't really remember the figures.

BTW: LGT has got really big car boot also. Enough for 3 golf bags [cool]

But then again the LGT would sip fuel too... so ... if you're a rice boy and would soup it up and you want the luxurious feel, go for the LGT.

If you're still young at heart (and not an old man like me...) go for the hot hatch GTI while you can before the kids arrive [laugh][/reply]

OLD MAN!@@??? HAllo......many many uncles in front of you lar..boy!! Queue up for many many years then come & say OLD MAN..!! [whip] I wish I hav ur youth!! then can go buy Rice-rockets!

But Beano, L i G h Tspeed is correct..take note petrol price, for FlowSlowlyInside engine is ron98 minimum..if not u kena knockin..detonate..etc.ec..

I wont drop any makes or models here..jus for forwat is comfy on ur wallet as well as ur ride..

look at it this way..the "pefect "car for you wud be one tat after u stop engine, GETZ out,,u wud still have the urge to GETZ back in and drive it again!! with that grin on ur face...

Tio boh..OLD MAN!!?? [sly]

hi bro

Did you manage to see the test drive in Fifth Gear (or Top Gear) which the host tested the GTI vs the Octy vRS? Both cars performed equally well in the circuit, but the Octy beat the Golf by a second (which can take you real far at that speed) in REVERSE! So I suppose the Octy is great handling and tuned even for reverse? I guess?

Plus, BIG boot space.

just my humble 2 cents. But for adventure's sake, I suppose that's why you are venturing outside the Skoda space?

bless

tashi

Neutral Newbie

1) Octavia RS

2) Golf GTi

3) Honda Civic

4) Legacy GT

A dilemma indeed, whether to listen to your head or heart.

Can only offer view from a financial aspect only. Since there is no compelling reason to change now, suggest you review the financials before deciding the best time to change, such as current depreciation, etc.

If new depreciation is less than current and provided you intend to keep the car for a long time, the choice is clear. If you can well afford to change, can also change now. Otherwise, CASH is KING.

PM me if you would like to bring the discussion further.

↡ Advertisement