HELP...CAI suck in water....

Dennisk

i was caught in flood....CAI suck in water....engine stalled....i tired to push start a few times...but didn't managed to start...now my car is being towed to workshop...can anyone advise me what will the damage on my car be and also what should i do....frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Er... ur combustion chamber fill with water liao. Pretty big time repair. Overhaul required.

This is the problem with CAI.

Take it easy.

Neutral Newbie

Sorry to say this... but I think you are looking at quite a major job if your CAI really took in water. It could be that your car stalled because the exhaust was below the water level.... I believe that might be less of a worry.

CAI is to take in air into the combustion chamber. Along the way, it will pass by the MAF (air flow sensor). So you could be looking at MAF replacement, engine overhaul.... look on the bright side... maybe its time to change cams or do a port and polish at the same time.

Edited by Cool_jazz

Neutral Newbie

gotta open up and flush out the engine... everything should be okay unless something is bent out of place, then you really need to change parts of the engine - thus overhaul (at least 2k) depending on your warranty covered.

flush out engine is labour time... shouldn't be that expensive.

I too have installed a CAI, the thing is my CAI is a very large diameter and water doesn't tend to climb up it. it is 5 inches wide with holes in it...

Edited by Spade

i did open up my air filter box to see... there is really water inside... my air filter is also wet...does overhaul include changing of cams and port & polish?

Neutral Newbie

jialat liao ....sure a killer...your wallet will have to go thru an overhaul after the engine...

better go jb and buy a NEW engine.... [sly] Lup a 2.5L !

Neutral Newbie

"If water get thru and go into the combustion chamber.. the engine will cease to function..

When that happen...

NEVER NEVER try to start your engine...

Get a tow struck to tow to the nearest dry place or workshop...

Drain out all the engine oil, remove the spark plugs and use spanner at the pulley to crank and you will see the water "shooting out" from the spark plug hole...

Wait till the water is drain out... then put back engine oil and spark plugs... then ok liao.

Your engine is saved and $$ also saved."

Advice from a lao jiao in my forum...

Neutral Newbie

Since u oredi crank.....guess need a major overhaul. Wait for the workshop to access the damage first, before making any decision.

Hopefully you piston rods are not bend. Should be carefull with CAI setup, do not allow 100% suction to inlet air tube. Proposely make it leak to prevent from sucking water when you inlet pipe is submerged in water. Another thing is use big pipe for CAI inlet pipe.

i did try to crank but it only sounded a click sound...didn't have the normal cranking sound...so is it consider cranked? i suppose have to wait for the workshop to access...was thinking maybe if overhaul then do somethings to my engine...sly.gif...anyone can advise?

Neutral Newbie
i did open up my air filter box to see... there is really water inside... my air filter is also wet...does overhaul include changing of cams and port & polish?

Overhaul does not include change of cams, port & polish.

But they will need to drain out your engine oil, strip down your engine to ensure that all water/flood sediments are removed.

Since they are doing that... may as well change to fast road cams and do port and polish.

↡ Advertisement