New Corolla 'Kompressor'

Koren

Extracted off VOGS:

TOYOTA LAUNCHES HOTTER COROLLA

Supercharged VVTL engine boosts torque, driveability

Toyota has launched a hotter Corolla, one that it describes as "faster, more powerful and has better handling and more street presence than ever before".

We'll take the street presence claim with a pinch of salt (as with all such claims), but the company has beefed up the car by adding a supercharger to its high-revving VVTL-i engine, the same zingy mill that sits in the Lotus Elise.

While in the Lotus, the motor has under 1,000Kg to shove, but the Toyota Corolla 1.8 VVTL-i Sport is a chunkier kettle of fish at 1,255Kg. So keeping the Corolla moving quickly means remaining in the 6,000-8,000rpm powerband. Not always ideal and eventually tiring. It also makes for lethargic performance when the engine's working outside that powerband.

The new Corolla Compressor uses the same 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine as the Sport but the supercharger boosts output from 189bhp to 215bhp. That helps knock 1.5 seconds off the car抯 0-62mph acceleration time, down to 6.9 seconds, and adds 3mph to the top speed, now 143mph.

With extra torque at lower engine speeds �a maximum 159lb-ft at 4,000rpm �the Compressor is more flexible. Toyota claimed fifth gear acceleration from 50 to 75mph in 8.5 seconds, while 37 to 62mph in fourth took only 6.1 seconds.

To accompany the power hike, the Compressor is fettled with 15mm lowered sports suspension and uprated springs. It also gets 17-inch alloy wheels with 215/45 tyres plus a roof spoiler, rear air dam and sports exhaust with twin tailpipes.

Toyota has also added adjustments to meet Euro IV emissions standards.

Only 250 right-hand drive Corolla Compressor models are being made available in the UK. The model goes on sale on 1 November 2006, priced on-the-road at �9,995.

↡ Advertisement

[laugh][laugh] 9,995 can buy car liao... i also want.. but supercharged leh... i think this is going to be another tiong kia's favourite... seems to be having lots of goodies by default... suspension, rims, spoiler and sports exhaust... hmmm... not bad... [thumbsup][thumbsup]

thanks for the info!!

how does Merc Benz think about wat Toyota do to their VVTi engines? [rolleyes]

heard merc passed the euro5 spec by adding supercharger and soon all merc will be made this way.........wat will be the implication in Sg for use of superchargers? [sly]

Edited by Normal_aspirated

shudnt be a problem.. i think supercharged engines produces much less waste/noise than turbocharged engines..

unless PI bring in.. dun think BM will ever bring this model of the corolla in.. Dunno what they thinking, always bring in the stupid and ugly looking models.. [furious]

Neutral Newbie

My guess that if this car is ever brought in, RP will be around 55k~60k based on today's COE... tats ard a Honda Fit....

Cheap Cheap [nod][nod]

[flowerface][flowerface][flowerface][inlove][inlove]

Extracted off VOGS:

TOYOTA LAUNCHES HOTTER COROLLA

Supercharged VVTL engine boosts torque, driveability

Toyota has launched a hotter Corolla, one that it describes as "faster, more powerful and has better handling and more street presence than ever before".

We'll take the street presence claim with a pinch of salt (as with all such claims), but the company has beefed up the car by adding a supercharger to its high-revving VVTL-i engine, the same zingy mill that sits in the Lotus Elise.

While in the Lotus, the motor has under 1,000Kg to shove, but the Toyota Corolla 1.8 VVTL-i Sport is a chunkier kettle of fish at 1,255Kg. So keeping the Corolla moving quickly means remaining in the 6,000-8,000rpm powerband. Not always ideal and eventually tiring. It also makes for lethargic performance when the engine's working outside that powerband.

The new Corolla Compressor uses the same 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine as the Sport but the supercharger boosts output from 189bhp to 215bhp. That helps knock 1.5 seconds off the car抯 0-62mph acceleration time, down to 6.9 seconds, and adds 3mph to the top speed, now 143mph.

With extra torque at lower engine speeds �a maximum 159lb-ft at 4,000rpm �the Compressor is more flexible. Toyota claimed fifth gear acceleration from 50 to 75mph in 8.5 seconds, while 37 to 62mph in fourth took only 6.1 seconds.

To accompany the power hike, the Compressor is fettled with 15mm lowered sports suspension and uprated springs. It also gets 17-inch alloy wheels with 215/45 tyres plus a roof spoiler, rear air dam and sports exhaust with twin tailpipes.

Toyota has also added adjustments to meet Euro IV emissions standards.

Only 250 right-hand drive Corolla Compressor models are being made available in the UK. The model goes on sale on 1 November 2006, priced on-the-road at �9,995.

I thought this car is call 'runx' is other country, isnt it?

unless PI bring in.. dun think BM will ever bring this model of the corolla in.. Dunno what they thinking, always bring in the stupid and ugly looking models.. [furious]
agents here hv their hands tied.....& their eyes blind-folded until PI flourishes........ [laugh][lipsrsealed][:p] Edited by Normal_aspirated

Sorry to spoil this post but I have my doubts about the truth of this article.

Because from my Oct'05 Top Gear magazine, the T-Sports is going at 16,000 quid. How can a Super-charged version of it is going at 6,000 cheaper?

Besides that, the Corolla is due for a new range 2007.

But it's a 2-door wor. It's not really that popular here leh...

↡ Advertisement