Air filter suck in water

Ahdi

Neutral Newbie

My stock air box have been changed to simota open pod + CAI.

Ytd was travelling on the road, raining v heavily, saw a big puddle of water in the front, scared car might aquaplane and skid, thus drop gear and went pass it. the moment i went thru it, car jerked, and rpm going up and down with no sequence, thus signal left and slow down, prepare to stop, when about to come to a stop, car engine died. restart again and revolve the engine, ropm goin up and down, not smooth and engine vibrating. off engine and waitied for 5 mins and everything seems fine.

problem is engine dun seems smooth as before. wad i suspect is my air filter suck in water which makes the engine behave this way. but would like to know wad are the damages to the car, cos i heard engine sucking ion water could be quite a big problem.

car is due for servicing in 1000km, was thinking to send it in now for a engine flush and ask them to diagnose to see if theres any problem, but wad can i say to tell them that engine did dies, and not let them know i did modify my air box, intend to put back everything to stock b4 goin in.

car is Nissan sunny N16

↡ Advertisement

i seriously urge you to consider relocating your CAI to a hugher position . Have heard a lot of cases of CAI injesting water . happened to a friend of mine . total damage repairs of 1.5k excluding labour. VOR 2 weeks . warranty void on a 1 month old car . is it worth ot for that few BHP? you go figure [jawdrop]

Neutral Newbie

OMG, frankly speaking, my car is back to normal driving now,hopefully it doesn;t give mi problem, will relocate the CAI soon, but wad shld i tell agent then?

i think your engine should be ok . if it is still running till now... [laugh] . water cannot be compressed , hence if any has gotten into your engine , you can't start it , and danage to conrods, valves would occur. so if you say your engine is smooth now , no vibration etc... it should be ok . remove the CAI and revert to stock , ask the agent to check it over.

I think TC offers a package for engine oil flush but i'm not sure whether they would inspect the pistons and engine conditions. Should ask them for the detail works to be done.

Has your mileage reach 60k km? If not, if its a new car...then it would be a bit suspicious to go for engine oil flush.

In any case, tell them engine not smooth and see what they do.

watever water that got sucked into ur engine, will have combusted and gone out ur exhaust within 1min of it entering, no need worry

if ur car still able to drive by now, chances are nothing happen

Neutral Newbie

Same problem as yours while on the way back from KL.

Very Heavy rain and was goin like 110km/hr

Big lorry overtook me and splashed......Engine started choking abit and then funny smell emitted....

Continue at a much lower speed and engine recovered back to normal.

My intake piping is much higher (Hyundai Tucson) but with a splash like this, even if I re-route it to the roof also kanna...

Now, 4 days later, car is back to normal, smooth as usual.

Edited by Davideng

Ytd was travelling on the road, raining v heavily, saw a big puddle of water in the front, scared car might aquaplane and skid, thus drop gear and went pass it. the moment i went thru it, car jerked, and rpm going up and down with no sequence, thus signal left and slow down, prepare to stop, when about to come to a stop, car engine died. restart again and revolve the engine, ropm goin up and down, not smooth and engine vibrating. off engine and waitied for 5 mins and everything seems fine.

problem is engine dun seems smooth as before. wad i suspect is my air filter suck in water which makes the engine behave this way. but would like to know wad are the damages to the car, cos i heard engine sucking ion water could be quite a big problem.

car is due for servicing in 1000km, was thinking to send it in now for a engine flush and ask them to diagnose to see if theres any problem, but wad can i say to tell them that engine did dies, and not let them know i did modify my air box, intend to put back everything to stock b4 goin in.

car is Nissan sunny N16

If you can start your engine then everything is fine. In fact a little ingestion of water will decarbon your combustion chamber.

see link below

http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gforum.cgi...g=water;#670626

Edited by Trex101

Neutral Newbie

car is Nissan sunny N16

When you touch you open filter, is it wet?

Neutral Newbie

reaching 80k on mileage, goin for major service soon, went for engine flush last service onli, but htink will go for it again.

Neutral Newbie

You should have remove the CAI at the throttle body end, make sure its not wet inside. If it is, never try to start the engine again.

CAI are usually pretty safe unless the filter end is completely submerge in a pool of water. Puddles or rain splash should not be a problem. Check that the seal around the cone filter and tube is good and water proof.

If you ever have to drive through a deep puddle of water, pickup some speed b4 entering, the min u're in clutch in and lift ur foot off the gas paddle, let the car roll through the puddle in neutral and pray that it has enough momentum to make it through. If not you'll have to get out and remove the CAI pipe temporary to drive through the pool then put it back on when you've cleared.

[thumbsup]

car is Nissan sunny N16

bro,is ur filter at the engine bay or the bumper below???

mine is at the bumper one....

so normally when it rains,i drive slowly and try to keep a distance from car infront

cos their tyre will splash water...and if i see got deep pool of water,i will siam or reduce speed...

Neutral Newbie

mine is in engine bay, sealed type of air filter with a small round opening to connect to CAI piping and piping draw to bumper of car.

Neutral Newbie

yeah, got wad u mean, that day after engine stall i immediately remove CAI piping oso, not car is back to normal, maybe already decarbon liaoz?

↡ Advertisement