Sidewall puncture

Showtime

Neutral Newbie

if the side wall is puctured (small hole), can it be patched up using the commonly used $7 ish tyre plug?

↡ Advertisement

No, don't take the risk. Better go to tyre shops to double check as sidewall puncture is more serious. You can go to South East at Kaki Bukit for Ah Hoe to take a look.

Sidewall puncture patch is unsafe. Tyres flexes during operation and rotating all the time. Definately not a wise decision to patch.

If u want to do a patch, it shd be temporary until u get a new tyre.

If your driving is fast and lot of corners, then changed it.

If your driving is slow and steady, then the risk is a lot lower, but keep in mind that the hole may open up and crack, so daily check for deterioration is necessary.

Personal Safety is more important then the cost of tyre.

Depends on the type of tyres - if it is low profile type with soft sidewall then you may have to do cold patch from inside. Make sure the tyreman use a correct sidewall patch.

If the sidewall injuire is a long cut, then suggest you get retire the tyre.

I don't know who you are and your technical background in tyre repair and service. Why cry "wolf" when you maybe not sure of the technology behind radial tyre cold patches.Why not give your explaination as why the repair is technically not sound.

I use to have thick folders on tyre repairs , tools and equipment on my desk besides sample of special auto tools and testers when I was very active in selling and marketing in the auto service industry. I have make a search for the files just an hour ago but apparent due to space contraint in my pigeon hole, they were sold off many years ago to the garan guni man.

Anyway, with the keyboard, I managed to locate a site selling side wall patches which may interest you

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/ch_tire_patchkits.cfm

Edited by Yeobh

I appreciate your effort in searching the info to share here.

just MHO,looking at the introduction about the repair kit

I have questions here

who is competence to carry out the repair job properly?

espeacially removing the tyre out from rim for those very low profile tyre?

that is why many shops are still going by easier way just plug repair from outside

without removing out.

almost all tyre maker had always advice no sideway repair is recommended even is from internal patch

beacuse you will not know the repaired tyre can withstand how fast speed you travel and how heaving load you carry?

so you have to judge your own view here.

If we think the repair just only to stop the leak I am tell you we could be wrong.

"...who is competence to carry out the repair job properly?

espeacially removing the tyre out from rim for those very low profile tyre?

that is why many shops are still going by easier way just plug repair from outside

without removing out..."

Actually most good tyres shop (eg. SE tyre, Stamford, etc) can do such repair. The likely reasons I can think of why this method is not the norm is a combination of ignorant consumers and incompetent tyres mech.

Patching the sidewall is not always possible, a lot depend on the condition of the tyre...but it can be done safely.

Edited by Silver_blade

U sound like you have an axe to grind with me and is challenging me? Have I offended you?

Anyway, I'm not interested to pick fights with people in the forum and have nothing to prove.

my friend last time went ST they just did the pulg mathod.

not sure now may be they changed?

combination of

ignorant consumer

incompetent tyre mech

also $,so sometime could be more cost effective to change your tyre

if the repair cost is to high or tyre is not in good condition

if you travelling long distance better don't repair side wall is MHO

Hold your horse, we are here to help each other to understand more about cars, we are here to meet people of the same interests. We are not in the boxing ring neither we are here to show off our ability and knowledge.

Hope you will kindly allow this matter to rest.

↡ Advertisement