Family sue SAF for son's death

Vid

My juniors who ORD, never get called back for 8yrs. Then they suddenly get SAF100 to serve. All need to do kit exchange on first day of reservist while I was on my last 2nd reservist.

I think they all along never kena call back cos the unit manpower is enough. But once the current batch MR, they need to find replacement, so start digging.

My unit only require 2-3 reservist at any one time only. So when all my juniors(10 of them) reported on first day, I was shocked.

They have record but depends on manning of the unit. If enough manpower, they will not recall.

Think the sudden call up was due to government giving reward to all NSF and NSman so manpower side had to dig up all the servicemen record and start to get everyone back for ICT.

↡ Advertisement

Yes good move. Better late than never. The generation from now will benefit from it.

Good move. This sort of policy cover war risk?

I think no insurance policy covers war risk from what I know.

Hypersonic

Likely just accidents lah.

Twincharged

Don't understand coverage is 150k for the group? The whole of SAF?

What premium they paying? I'll like to know if it's mommy well spent or another buddy buddy deal.

$150k per person. Guess it will be around the same as the current premium. Just that now it is paid by MINDEF instead of the NSFs. I am paying around $14 per month for the SAF group insurance.

Don't think it will cover war. The current Aviva one also did state that under certain circumstances, they might not pay out the full sum assured. For example, if too many people in the group claim at one go, they might pay out lesser to everyone.

When I first join NS, the first thing they do is make you pay NTUC for insurance, deducted from your miserable $90 allowance.

Now Aviva. They say its voluntary. Can opt out. But must see OC first then can opt out. Lol.

Haiz, just received my notification for MR yesterday. But official MR only going to come next April. And the statutory age to "retire" fully is another 12 yrs away....double sianz.

I guess this insurance thing comes a little too late for me.

Supercharged

Yes good move. Better late than never. The generation from now will benefit from it.

This is just cover their own ass, should anything happen again to another NS boy. They don't wan parents to go public media and sue them.

Have a blanket insurance covering everyone in the uniform service is a good move.

In my view, it is not that policy makers back in the early days did not think of this... But given the limited finance resources and many pressing needs to build up the military and security assets, this is not a priority then.

So now, with major acquisitions and systems already in place and our security more or less taken care of, we can then look at having more welfare for our uniform personnel.

That's the kind of thinking we need in public service

Have a blanket insurance covering everyone in the uniform service is a good move.

In my view, it is not that policy makers back in the early days did not think of this... But given the limited finance resources and many pressing needs to build up the military and security assets, this is not a priority then.

So now, with major acquisitions and systems already in place and our security more or less taken care of, we can then look at having more welfare for our uniform personnel.

That's the kind of thinking we need in public service

Limited finances? I Call bull shit on that.

The black holes that are gic temasek etc are literally controlling hundreds of Billions for a very very long time ... finances were NEVER the issue.

The relative cost of insurance compared to the cost of maintaining a soldier is literally nothing. It's like driving a merc and complain about the hdb season parking.

Look at the salaries paid to our politicians and civil services, then ask what is the status of our nsf? Really no money to give some insurance to the hardest job lowest paid folks?

Is about mindset and ideology.

And it's a bloody shame to take so long.

And that's why they don't deserve praise, they deserve to be totally royally fxxk ed for taking so long and so many lives and limbs before taking action.

And frankly. .. did they do it now out of the goodness of their hearts or due to political damage control? ?

• Praise 6

Just curious, in the history since saf was formed, has anyone sued them n won?

i dun recall in recent years,

60s-70s-80s dun even think, even lesser chance then now, without media , most of the accident was not even reported. 

Is about mindset and ideology.

And it's a bloody shame to take so long.

And that's why they don't deserve praise, they deserve to be totally royally fxxk ed for taking so long and so many lives and limbs before taking action.

And frankly. .. did they do it now out of the goodness of their hearts or due to political damage control? ?

we need to look forward and built a better future for everyone of us. Whatever happen in the past is already history. We can't change anything.

what we can do now is to be positive and give credit to any positive moves in the right direction. That will assure the authority that we have the maturity and will encourage the authority to do more.  

• Praise 2

At least there is change for the better even if it took some time to come.

A lot of Singaporeans don't understand that in many other countries, policy changes may not even come even after generations, even if the policy is outdated/stupid/unjust.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3