What make and model worth renew COE after 10 years

Maskedrider

tried it.

gearbox feel wierd. abit jerky?

and seems very noisy compared to the other makes.

young but need to take into account family still. lol

just buy 1 teg for own use.. (ferry whom we dunno [lipsrsealed] ) i also like the teg... we have similar taste.. lol

and 1 family car la.. [laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Mrmilktooth
  • Praise 2

At $70k I don't think will either renew nor buy a new car...

If drop to around $40k plus - more likely to renew than to buy new I think.

I wouldn't feel the "pain" of giving up ARF...it's money already spent

I'd rather drop $40k and have no loan or anything else on my existing car, than drop $40k on a deposit, then still have a $60k loan (on a replacement cost basis for something similar)

My car done 280k, but engine not a big concern - $2k + can get a full recondition, which is a very small amount in relation to what would spend on a new car.

• Praise 2

At $70k I don't think will either renew nor buy a new car...

If drop to around $40k plus - more likely to renew than to buy new I think.

I wouldn't feel the "pain" of giving up ARF...it's money already spent

I'd rather drop $40k and have no loan or anything else on my existing car, than drop $40k on a deposit, then still have a $60k loan (on a replacement cost basis for something similar)

My car done 280k, but engine not a big concern - $2k + can get a full recondition, which is a very small amount in relation to what would spend on a new car.

OT a little -- as mentioned in another post, is it worth extending COE for niche car e.g. 9yrs 6month old Exige, current owner maintained it well last 6 years, Toyota engine, rare in local market, superb handling with 10kmL FC?

EXPORT value today --- 24k euro

Edited by Super7
  • Praise 1

OT a little -- as mentioned in another post, is it worth extending COE for niche car e.g. 9yrs 6month old Exige, current owner maintained it well last 6 years, Toyota engine, rare in local market, superb handling with 10kmL FC?

24k Euro = 38k SGD

The 24k include the ARF refund or not?

Exige S (3.5 litre version) currently selling from Richburg for $300k

So figuring.....$38k "loss" + new COE at $70k you are paying $100k for what would cost you around $370 k new...

And the Exige is one car that "ages" really well (the new doesn't have huge advantages over a 10 year old model)

I'd say "worth it" is a very relative term - what else can you get in this sort of category at that sort of money? I'd humbly suggest not very much. So at that sort of price - definitely "worth-it". Is it "worth it" to pay $100k for a 10 year old Exige though? That's a far harder question to answer...

P.S - I love the Exige - and have relatively realistic hope of getting something like this if / when I ever head back to NZ

tough call.

usually for this type of car, the main concern will be maintenance and availability of parts as it EOL.

personally i won't do it. giving up the parf+ 70k COE = 10k/yr depreciation? not to mention the increased maintenance cost and 150% roadtax.

but then again, for a car connoisseur it might be worth it.

big question will be. :

1. will it suit your lifestyle in the next 10 yrs? e.g family etc? when you got a baby for example?

2. niche models hard to sell ?

but great car nevertheless.

• Praise 1

tough call.

usually for this type of car, the main concern will be maintenance and availability of parts as it EOL.

personally i won't do it. giving up the parf+ 70k COE = 10k/yr depreciation? not to mention the increased maintenance cost and 150% roadtax.

but then again, for a car connoisseur it might be worth it.

big question will be. :

1. will it suit your lifestyle in the next 10 yrs? e.g family etc? when you got a baby for example?

2. niche models hard to sell ?

but great car nevertheless.

Hobby car. This particular model suits hardcore drivers who appreciate it merits.

Come to think of it, purchase of such cars are sometimes a matter of heart over brain, can't really be evaluated purely on monetary terms. But opportunity costs, e.g. same money better spent on other makes or models which yeild better driving / ownership experience. By the way, such cars have high depreciation rate unless they reach collector's car status, or old enough to enjoy diminishing depreciation ie not while it's younger than say 7, 8 years old when high depreciation is the norm during the first 7, 8 years of their life.

Btw, being powered by a Toyota engine, it's relatively trouble free as compared with other exotics.

Edited by Super7

24k Euro = 38k SGD

The 24k include the ARF refund or not?

Exige S (3.5 litre version) currently selling from Richburg for $300k

So figuring.....$38k "loss" + new COE at $70k you are paying $100k for what would cost you around $370 k new...

And the Exige is one car that "ages" really well (the new doesn't have huge advantages over a 10 year old model)

I'd say "worth it" is a very relative term - what else can you get in this sort of category at that sort of money? I'd humbly suggest not very much. So at that sort of price - definitely "worth-it". Is it "worth it" to pay $100k for a 10 year old Exige though? That's a far harder question to answer...

P.S - I love the Exige - and have relatively realistic hope of getting something like this if / when I ever head back to NZ

Thanks for sharing your views.

Sounds like a good idea to visit you in future when you have your Exige back home and pester you to let me take care of it a few days with unlimited mileage!! Just kidding

Hobby car. This particular model suits hardcore drivers who appreciate it merits.

Come to think of it, purchase of such cars are sometimes a matter of heart over brain, can't really be evaluated purely on monetary terms. But opportunity costs, e.g. same money better spent on other makes or models which yeild better driving / ownership experience. By the way, such cars have high depreciation rate unless they reach collector's car status, or old enough to enjoy diminishing depreciation ie not while it's younger than say 7, 8 years old when high depreciation is the norm during the first 7, 8 years of their life.

Btw, being powered by a Toyota engine, it's relatively trouble free as compared with other exotics.

Yep - servicing of a Lotus not that much of a worry,

And fully agree it's never going to be a "logic" decision - an Exige is never a matter of "what else can I get for a daily drive" but rather, what else offers similar performance/ experience - and at that price, not very much will come close.

If you're looking for a track car - maybe something like a civic could be considered - but I wouldn't think it would offer many cost benefits over the exige - just be more driveable on a daily basis.

If you're not adding COE into the picture, $38k for the sort of experience that the Exige offers

On this UK site - there's two 10 year old Exiges listed at 24k POUNDS - which makes $38k Sing a bargain...

Thanks for sharing your views.

Sounds like a good idea to visit you in future when you have your Exige back home and pester you to let me take care of it a few days with unlimited mileage!! Just kidding

Hey ----

Quite honestly - IF I ever go back, and IF i ever actually do get to buy the sort of car I'd love to own,

You'd always be welcome to, at the very least, come and visit and spend an afternoon driving it with me round some of my favourite roads - cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed after all....

true lah. end of the day, it is whatever you can afford for your hobby.

you makez me sibei jelly leh.

hmphz

super7 kor kor can bring me go gai gai in your exige next time?

• Praise 1

Can, can, after my wife kicks me out of the house after seeing me drive home the Exige, and the ah longs paint my door, will you let me sleep on your sofa and transfer the loans to you?

Just kidding.

ps. How I wish more men can tell their OC - a man gotta to what he gotta do.... kekeke

Am I dreaming?

true lah. end of the day, it is whatever you can afford for your hobby.

you makez me sibei jelly leh.

hmphz

super7 kor kor can bring me go gai gai in your exige next time?

• Praise 1

Can, can, after my wife kicks me out of the house after seeing me drive home the Exige, and the ah longs paint my door, will you let me sleep on your sofa and transfer the loans to you?

Just kidding.

ps. How I wish more men can tell their OC - a man gotta to what he gotta do.... kekeke

Am I dreaming?

if the law changes here, then maybe more of us can speak our minds... ;p

but again erm exige is as fast as a ferrari?..

sat in one the other day and quite kan jiong every time the car almost kiss the BnB cars on the road..

its a thrill to sit in one for fun.. [dizzy] but definitely i wont buy even if i can afford.. [grin]

if the law changes here, then maybe more of us can speak our minds... ;p

but again erm exige is as fast as a ferrari?..

sat in one the other day and quite kan jiong every time the car almost kiss the BnB cars on the road..

its a thrill to sit in one for fun.. [dizzy] but definitely i wont buy even if i can afford.. [grin]

If both are new, a Ferrari chao chai costs 3 times that of a Exige, if I get the number right but not three times faster. The F maybe has 3 times more sex appeal I guess, and maybe 3 times more to maintain.

If both are new, a Ferrari chao chao costs 3 times that of a Exige, if I get the number right but not three times faster. The F maybe has 3 times more sex appeal I guess, and maybe 3 times more to maintain.

Unlike the F, the E has little snob appeal when the F is choked with that. E has a run of the mill low maintenance Toyota 3.5, F a seductive 12 cylinders high maintenance engine

But then again who owns a F will think Fk about maintenance costs?

Edited by Super7
  • Praise 1

If both are new, a Ferrari chao chai costs 3 times that of a Exige, if I get the number right but not three times faster. The F maybe has 3 times more sex appeal I guess, and maybe 3 times more to maintain.

If both are new, a Ferrari chao chao costs 3 times that of a Exige, if I get the number right but not three times faster. The F maybe has 3 times more sex appeal I guess, and maybe 3 times more to maintain.

Unlike the F, the E has little snob appeal when the F is choked with that. E has a run of the mill low maintenance Toyota 3.5, F a seductive 12 cylinders high maintenance engine

Price aside - Exige and Ferrari and not the same owner experience - and also take note, an '06 Exige should be the 1.8 Supercharge if not wrong (not a 3.5)

Exige is not about straight line top speed, in fact, it probably tops out somewhere around 240km/h or so.

Lotus is all about driving / cornering / car control rather than absolute straight line speed.

have been lucky enough to drive one a couple of times - and it's damn freaking shiok - it's what driving should be - I don't care about the speed (although on a technical track, an exige will be FAST), it's all about enjoying the feeling of the drive.

To be able to brag about SG to KL in 83 minutes, Exige is the wrong car - to enjoy a Pasir Gudang track day, or a B road drive to Cameron I would choose Exige over any of the supercars...

• Praise 2

Just kidding.

Am I dreaming?

you farking dreaming.

you already called her OC. you say leh?

hahahha

thank you for the sharing.. really good to read with car enthus ...

something i never get to chat on with the missus.. haha

so mcf is a good choice to find out more.. [thumbsup]

no wonder my auntie black face... worry my uncle go pick up xmm.. in his new toy. [laugh]

you farking dreaming.

you already called her OC. you say leh?

hahahha

I am a private twice, first time during NS for 3 months, second time much longer from wedding day till now, under one OC!!! :-(

↡ Advertisement