Mazda 5 - requesting owners feedback

Dgeralds

based on ur explanation n comparison w other mz5, shouldn't b the case. mayb this one / small % nvr adjust valve tappet clearance as properly.

do keep posted, tks.

I am having same issues during start up... but the noise will go away after 10-20 secs..... Fuel consumption is bad,,, do not trust the indicator,,,, if it shows 11 km/l, it is not true, manual calculation only about 9 km/l... current mileage about 5800km... manage to get slot for servicing for 5k in early October only. By then I will hit 7k.

Edited by Xman13
  • Praise 1

regarding the size of Mazda 5 petrol tank & low fuel warning light indicator,

got mine in april 2015, the skyactive version,

in the manual it states our fuel tank is 60L

however, each time the fuel warning light comes on with 1 bar petrol left, I can only pump about 46 litres to reach full tank.

if i drive until the final bar of fuel disappears, and no more bars remain, I can only pump 48.8 litres to reach full tank.

infering from this, we actually have 10 litres of petrol left even when the final bar of petrol disappears.

however, Trans Eurokars does not want to confirm this, and is unwilling to ask Mazda Japan for further information.

does anyone know these facts about our Mazda 5 fuel tank? Thanks !

All cars will give allowance when the low fuel light lights up. This is to allow drivers that one last chance to refuel. How much you have left will depend on each individual car. So far in a decade of observing tank size, have come across 10 ltr quite often...

Just quickly go pump when it lights up, do it a few times to get an average. Over time, you will have a guage of how much more you can push your car after lights up....

• Praise 1

When my gear is in Drive mode, I cannot open sliding door and back door. Need to put my gear to P for those doors to open.

My car sound like a truck on start up too. After the car is warm up, the sound is softer.

If all that you can pump is maximum 50L, FC would have improved, right ?

I am also curious of the remaining 10L assuming full tank is 60L.

I-stop help us to move off slowly.

When my gear is in Drive mode, I cannot open sliding door and back door. Need to put my gear to P for those doors to open.

My car sound like a truck on start up too. After the car is warm up, the sound is softer.

If all that you can pump is maximum 50L, FC would have improved, right ?

I am also curious of the remaining 10L assuming full tank is 60L.

I-stop help us to move off slowly.

To add, if your fuel door is open, your right hand sliding door will not open fully, it's another safety feature.

I have the same engine noise every morning, for 10-20sec like you. I would think this is normal as the ECU trying to heat up the engine as fast as possible to achieve 'optimum' driving engine temperature.

The tank listed is 60L, thus, if we can only pump up to 50L, in theory, we'd have 10L left in the tank. As 1 bro mentioned before, we don't measure fc by divided total mileage by the listed tank size (in your case 50L). I always had my trip meter reset to 0 when I top it up (till the filling autostop) and the next time I top it up (till the filling autostop) , I'll know the mileage and the volume that I'd used. The only variable in this method is different petrol gun may have different autostop trigger.

I was told, on my previous car, Lancer GLX, when the low fuel light up, there is still ard 10L fuel in the tank. I have never dare to try it out, but did push >10km before on the first low fuel light up.

Personally, I have concern over how much I-stop save us on petrol & the effect it has on our engine in long run. But, I guess nobody will be able to tell us the answer.

So, for myself, I always leave the I-stop turned ON, stop the car, but never depressed the brake (so I-stop not activated), unless I know I'll have sometimes to wait at the traffic junction.

I am having same issues during start up... but the noise will go away after 10-20 secs..... Fuel consumption is bad,,, do not trust the indicator,,,, if it shows 11 km/l, it is not true, manual calculation only about 9 km/l... current mileage about 5800km... manage to get slot for servicing for 5k in early October only. By then I will hit 7k.

tks for the feedback. was considering mz5 previously but seems i should focus on lower cc ride, n guess i probably don need 7 seater. may miss te handlin though..

To add, if your fuel door is open, your right hand sliding door will not open fully, it's another safety feature.

I have the same engine noise every morning, for 10-20sec like you. I would think this is normal as the ECU trying to heat up the engine as fast as possible to achieve 'optimum' driving engine temperature.

The tank listed is 60L, thus, if we can only pump up to 50L, in theory, we'd have 10L left in the tank. As 1 bro mentioned before, we don't measure fc by divided total mileage by the listed tank size (in your case 50L). I always had my trip meter reset to 0 when I top it up (till the filling autostop) and the next time I top it up (till the filling autostop) , I'll know the mileage and the volume that I'd used. The only variable in this method is different petrol gun may have different autostop trigger.

I was told, on my previous car, Lancer GLX, when the low fuel light up, there is still ard 10L fuel in the tank. I have never dare to try it out, but did push >10km before on the first low fuel light up.

Personally, I have concern over how much I-stop save us on petrol & the effect it has on our engine in long run. But, I guess nobody will be able to tell us the answer.

So, for myself, I always leave the I-stop turned ON, stop the car, but never depressed the brake (so I-stop not activated), unless I know I'll have sometimes to wait at the traffic junction.

Dear Erict76,

Do you switch to neutral waiting at the traffic junction ?

In manual gear vios, I have to depress clutch during gear change.

In auto gear vios, I have to depress the "thumb button" on the clutch during gear change.

In Mazda 5, we press nothing. Is this right ?

bro keep posted on engine noise issue. i suspect it could b valve clearance issue / tappet noise. as it requires some time for engine oil to travel n lubricate adequately for a while, engine will b slightly noisier until about a minute +/-. my 7+ yo ride also behaves that way.

Hi all,

As for my M5, fuel consumption is much better after the 10,000km, close to 11km/l(manual calculation), though I'm mostly 60%hw/40%city.

I think engine noise during start up is Signature of Mazda's technology, very rotary. My personal experience is that during start up, it is slightly on a louder roar but it is ok after warm up.

When I tested drive on M2 and M3, the engine sounded noisy during start up too.

I have been turning off the i-stop. It doesn't make sense for the engine to be cut off and restart automatically in less than (maybe 10-15s, sometime even shorter). Gives me a shock too when it auto restart....hahaha...

And for servicing booking, it is best to book 3 weeks in advance. It is not advisable to book last minute.

Thank you all and have a wonderful day!

cheers

:a-happy::a-good:

Neutral Newbie

" I have been turning off the i-stop "

is there a way to turn it off permanently ?

i have to turn it off each time i start the car, cos it doesn't "remember" it should be off.

the calculation of fuel consumption by car computer is quite accurate. mine shows about 10.5km/L

and i do pump 47.8L most of the time and get about 500km range by manual calculation.

i have to turn it off each time i start the car, cos it doesn't "remember" it should be off.

the calculation of fuel consumption by car computer is quite accurate. mine shows about 10.5km/L

and i do pump 47.8L most of the time and get about 500km range by manual calculation.

• Praise 1

Dear Erict76,

Do you switch to neutral waiting at the traffic junction ?

In manual gear vios, I have to depress clutch during gear change.

In auto gear vios, I have to depress the "thumb button" on the clutch during gear change.

In Mazda 5, we press nothing. Is this right ?

I do sometimes switch to neutral when I wanted to release the brake and I knew I will have a little while to wait. But, I do sometimes forget to switch it to back to "Drive" when the light turn green... hehehe....

There is nothing to press except the brake in M5.

I heard from 1 of my J-spec Vios owner friend mentioned that the rpm is lower with Vios when you switch to neutral when stop. However, I'd checked on M5, it's the same (i-stop not activated).

I'd checked with Mazda, there isn't a way to turn the i-stop off permanently. Honda Vezel also behave the same way as M5.

That's why I don't 'activate' the i-stop by deep depress the brake most of the time, and the car behave like it has no i-stop. :)

I do sometimes switch to neutral when I wanted to release the brake and I knew I will have a little while to wait. But, I do sometimes forget to switch it to back to "Drive" when the light turn green... hehehe....

There is nothing to press except the brake in M5.

I heard from 1 of my J-spec Vios owner friend mentioned that the rpm is lower with Vios when you switch to neutral when stop. However, I'd checked on M5, it's the same (i-stop not activated).

I'd checked with Mazda, there isn't a way to turn the i-stop off permanently. Honda Vezel also behave the same way as M5.

That's why I don't 'activate' the i-stop by deep depress the brake most of the time, and the car behave like it has no i-stop. :)

From your post, you are saying light depress - brake the car and heavy depress - activate I-stop. Have you experienced that the car engine restart after you change gear to P? A while ago, I tried neutral, the engine restart too. I was shock for a moment. I guess the car won't move at all because not in D mode. I feel the restart of engine is to charge the battery. Can you try to brake your car to a halt, let go the brake and press again? See whether I-stop is not activated. So far, I brake until I-stop is activated. I call it E-brake. I also saw blinking green I-stop. Have not figure that out .

2 things. There is a line on my driver side mirror. I have to press the driver window button twice to fully open the window.

From your post, you are saying light depress - brake the car and heavy depress - activate I-stop. Have you experienced that the car engine restart after you change gear to P? A while ago, I tried neutral, the engine restart too. I was shock for a moment. I guess the car won't move at all because not in D mode. I feel the restart of engine is to charge the battery. Can you try to brake your car to a halt, let go the brake and press again? See whether I-stop is not activated. So far, I brake until I-stop is activated. I call it E-brake. I also saw blinking green I-stop. Have not figure that out .

2 things. There is a line on my driver side mirror. I have to press the driver window button twice to fully open the window.

even when your i-stop is activated, there will be other factors that make the engine restart (i-stop deactivated), such as aircond trying to meet the temperature, slight change of the brake position & etc. It's kind of complicated when i read the userguide. I'd tried just now to switch to 'P' when the engine cut off at 'D' at the traffic light, the engine doesn't restart in 'P' position, but it does restart immediately when i switch away from 'P' to 'D'. I believe, part of it because, I was depressing the brake when I was doing the switching. I'd experienced the similar situation when I switch it back from 'N'. I believe, your experience may due to other factors, e.g. aircond.

I believe the line you mention on the driver side mirror is the straight line devided the side mirror to 2 portion, right? The outer portion is a convex mirror (pong kia in hokkien), to check on the blind spot. I bet that's another safety feature built-in.

I have not figure out on the driver window yet. I have similar exeperience like you, I called this fully manual. But, I do remember I experienced a kind of fully auto. I will check it out again when I have chance.

Anyone knows where to get tonneau cover?

Taobao has it but not sure the quality/compatibility.

Mazda SG fb Group seems to get some discount with JDM. May call JDM to check i guess.

Neutral Newbie

2 things. There is a line on my driver side mirror. I have to press the driver window button twice to fully open the window. <<< i am very surprised that you do not know about these things. New and very young driver without much driving experience?

2 things. There is a line on my driver side mirror. I have to press the driver window button twice to fully open the window. <<< i am very surprised that you do not know about these things. New and very young driver without much driving experience?

Jerrlim, do you know me ? Why the surprise ? Do all cars has these 2 features ? Proving that I am a New and very young driver without much driving experience has no relevancy to any of the topics here. I am not worth exploring.

Saw this article on oil. http://www.rojaklah.com/2015/09/22/ron95yk220915/ Maybe useful for drivers here. Anyone can summarise it ?

My experience with power windows is that do not press the opposite direction when the windows are opening or closing. It will jam the windows in vios (manual SFN generation and auto SFY generation) and 2nd generation Honda accord. Dare not try with my new Madza 5. I am so glad this "common sense" does not apply to mazda 5 sliding doors. What a good feature. But I learn this the hard way. Thinking that I would only open 1 sliding door, I parked my car nearer to the wall on the other side. My wife press the wrong button and the other sliding door hit the wall. As the door opens, I dare not stop the sliding for fear of jamming the door because I think it is the same as power windows. I am saying out so that you can stop a "disaster" and park your car right in the middle of the lot.

I am interested in this. Anyone good in Chinese, combine orders ?

↡ Advertisement