Engineering career anyone?

Vulcann

Right. If you're doing a job that don't make money, like engineering maintenance, don't expect high salary.

You are a cost to the company.

And companies like to cut cost and replaced you with cheap FT.

Depends on individual how u sell yourself to the company. Production engineering is not a cost but a safe net, production machine break down can means thousands lost per min or hour. These days u have to be multi task, add value and sell your worth in order to survive

↡ Advertisement

Perhaps they thought with 5 years experience only perform $8K was below average performance to them (could they be head-hunting for SYH type?).

it was a position for fresh grad in a bank.

Most jobs come with inflated job titles, but not pay. [laugh]

You got the point. You are right. Many years back, a young man came up to me and introduced himself as a Project Engineer for one sub-contractor. His duties were to learn his job with DIY apprenticeship after completing his NS the previous week. He told me his salary was $500/- per month. So, some Employer's Apprentice called Project Engineer (with a Diploma).

Now I think 3.5k should be quite normal? Most of my friends who just graduated are getting 3.2-3.3k on average. Quite a number getting 3.5k and some getting above 4k.

Maybe for engineering field and certain engineering industry and company that 3.5k and above is normal for fresh graduate now? Dont think for business graduate can command such a salary.

You got the point. You are right. Many years back, a young man came up to me and introduced himself as a Project Engineer for one sub-contractor. His duties were to learn his job with DIY apprenticeship after completing his NS the previous week. He told me his salary was $500/- per month. So, some Employer's Apprentice called Project Engineer (with a Diploma).

There was a time when COWs were THE KINGS on site!!! No need degree!! The amount of OTs, perks they got will make today's eng grads eyes very GREEN!! The contractor was too happy to da bao any lunch, no matter how far for COW's lunch the latter just need to say what he wants. LOL

Edited by Super7

Upon insisting by the Client, a Consultant enganged a FT (with degree) for his COW. When questioned about the negative T & C results, the COW(FT) replied: "I do not understand all these local engineering practices here. I do not have such engineering practices where my motherland were". That Consultant never dare employ another FT for his COW ever after.

This client thinks FT degree big deal!! [hur] [hur]

Twincharged

Maybe for engineering field and certain engineering industry and company that 3.5k and above is normal for fresh graduate now? Dont think for business graduate can command such a salary.

No la. The ones that got 4k+ as fresh grad got business degree. Working in banks now. Most of them who got into engineering getting between 3.2-3.5k. Thats why they were grumbling that business degree seems better. These were my poly classmates and not all continued to engineering in Uni.

FT quoted below half market salary then (FT already knew unable to deliver the required performance). But got other FT employed as Resident Engineer. BCA recommended. [lipsrsealed]

BCA also sa-ka govt to take in under-qualified / over-certified FTs liao..... [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop] if buildings collapse next time, how? [:(]

No la. The ones that got 4k+ as fresh grad got business degree. Working in banks now. Most of them who got into engineering getting between 3.2-3.5k. Thats why they were grumbling that business degree seems better. These were my poly classmates and not all continued to engineering in Uni.

Business degree who earn 4k+ is mostly are those who work in bank lo. For others companies, dont think salary so high for fresh graduate.

Our IES should really make noise.......and protect local engineers.

Myanmar, PRC, Thai, Viet, Pinoy.... so many of them.

Really cheap and good?? In the end who clear their shit?

• Praise 2

Upon insisting by the Client, a Consultant enganged a FT (with degree) for his COW. When questioned about the negative T & C results, the COW(FT) replied: "I do not understand all these local engineering practices here. I do not have such engineering practices where my motherland were". That Consultant never dare employ another FT for his COW ever after.

I think he really meant in his heart : "I really do not understand anything at all, cos my degree was fake".

• Praise 2

I believe like Nicoll Highway accident, FT can return to his motherland and live happily everafter.

FTs always return home to build new house just like a century ago when poor peasants from China worked as goldminer in San Francisco and returned to their village as rich men.

i quote from my friend "start church la.. bao jiak make u rich!"

Any 'institution' which preaches FEAR n HOPE will find it easy to make money.

Cosmetic surgerns have learned and mastered this long ago.... Fear of wrinkles / bulges, Hope for good look!! [grin]

• Praise 1

I was an engineer for 5 years before moving to finance.

at the finance interview, the interviewer thought my pay after 5 years in engineering was 8k and told me they can only pay me fresh grad pay.

then i found out their fresh grad pay was still more than my last drawn engineering pay...

thats 2008 before Lehman by the way...

Fresh 2.8K; Rotate for 1 year 3.2 to 3.3K; Stay on for 2 years 4K.

Fresh 2.8K; Rotate for 1 year 3.2 to 3.3K; Stay on for 2 years 4K.

my fresh grad pay right after SARS was 2.4k. After 1 year, I then joined a local giant in semiconductor testing at 2.6k. After OT for the all the weekends only get back 4.4k or so. With this kind of pay, its difficult to entice young locals to join engineering and make a career out of it when other industries pay more to fresh grads. Worse, had to answer phone calls at night and on weekends when there are production issues but no standby allowances are given or phone allowances. Some of the calls are really !@#@$%% - eg in the middle of the night, operator cannot open excel file...Simple solution was to just close and open the file... but it didnt occur to them or the engineering staff at night didnt attend to them...

Our IES should really make noise.......and protect local engineers.

Myanmar, PRC, Thai, Viet, Pinoy.... so many of them.

Really cheap and good?? In the end who clear their shit?

We once had 2 hires from an overseas semiconductor giant MNC, in fact it was 1 of the biggest and most profitable in the world so we thought they were really good. They were recommended and hired by seniors who were their own countrymen.

1 was exceptionally good. Another 1 only sit at his desk to send emails marked in high priority to the manufacturing and production staff but hey, those people hardly read emails or answer the phone because they are working at their stations. By the time they read the email, its end of shift so nothing gets done or implemented. Sometimes, its not their nationality but really, their attitude and a lot of common sense and of course their knowledge. Miss out any 1 of these 3 ingredients and the equation will fail. Last but not least, please hire based on merit and not what is their mother tongue or which village they came from.

Any 'institution' which preaches FEAR n HOPE will find it easy to make money.

Cosmetic surgerns have learned and mastered this long ago.... Fear of wrinkles / bulges, Hope for good look!! [grin]

Likewise for insurance coys. Sell u fear....then give u hope that u are covered should fears come true.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2