Prison officer made a scapegoat?

Little_prince

but news could spread from visitors who cared about their love ones staying in the chalet.

or from those who just earned membership to the exclusive club. <_<

↡ Advertisement

We will never know the truth.

When news first broke, I thought that the supervisor beri cham...

When such thing happens, esp in public institutions, someone has to be the fall guy right?

who is mini star of prison?

shouldnt the top person take responsibility?

TA

IPEI, Taiwan - Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou refused to accept the defence minister's resignation over an army recruit who died of heat stroke while being punished for bringing a cellphone on base.

Defence Minister Kao Hao-chu apologized Monday night for the death of Hung Chung-chiu on July 3 and offered to step down. Hung, 24, had been forced to perform a vigorous regime of sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks and squats in sweltering heat.

The military has punished 37 officers in connection with the incident, including 15 who face criminal prosecution.

Ma said Tuesday that a resignation by Kao was not justified under the circumstances.

Recruits are banned from bringing camera-equipped cellphones onto Taiwanese military bases for security reasons.

Hung was several days away from completing his 20-month military obligation when he died.

Taiwan is transitioning from a conscripted military force to an all-volunteer army. Its goal of completing the transition by 2015 appears unlikely from initial indications because of continuing difficulties in attracting requisite numbers of recruits.

the dead inmate happened to be a minority..so the fine is actually a slap on the wrist meant to appease certain ethnic groups..and they had to get Masagos Zulkifli & S Iswaran to come out to make statements

Turbocharged
(edited)

Must be victim mother trying to $ from cheng hu to last her for the next 20years.

Ah boy earn S$3000 per month. X 30years = S$1.08M

Edited by Mcf777

who is mini star of prison?

shouldnt the top person take responsibility?

The restraint techniques were introduced by the Singapore Prison Service in 1991....what gives?

couple of questions comes to mind

1. if the senior officer is guilty of "lack of supervision" shouldnt the ones who actually held him down and used excessive force be held accountable too?

2. the prisoner was by all accounts violent and non cooperative. In such a situation, the officers need to use adequate force to contain him. the death was a legitimate accident. So why is the prison officer being charged as a criminal? since there was no intent to kill?

firstly, a prison or prison officer has no right to use deadly force unless his life is threatened (which in this case it is not), probably trying to him a lesson which turned out wrong, funny thing you brought up, senior officer is guilty of "lack of supervision" but in our parliament, it is the small fries who get hanged

couple of questions comes to mind

1. if the senior officer is guilty of "lack of supervision" shouldnt the ones who actually held him down and used excessive force be held accountable too?

2. the prisoner was by all accounts violent and non cooperative. In such a situation, the officers need to use adequate force to contain him. the death was a legitimate accident. So why is the prison officer being charged as a criminal? since there was no intent to kill?

I think the officer is being charged for causing death by negligence or something along this line. He was the highest ranked official supervising the punishment of the deceased so naturally he was charged as they needed somebody to take the blame.

I read this report in The New Paper, this prisoner kicked the officer. Then the officer used pepper spray on him and brought him to solitary cell and kept him in the prone position which caused his death.

Its the mix of pepper spray + prone position that caused his death.

到 底 囚 犯 是。。。。 辣 死 ?压 死 ?嚇 死 ?气 死 ? [confused]

The family of Dinesh Raman, the prison inmate who died after being negligently left in 'prone position' without adequate supervision, is unhappy with the sentence that the senior prison officer in charge was dealt.

The officer who had not provided the adequate supervision which caused Dinesh's death was fined $10 000, an amount the family says does not compare to the life that was lost.

The case took almost 3 years to come to a conclusion and the family says that they are still not sure how exactly the 21 year old had died in 'prone position'.

The late Dinesh Raman was sentenced to reformative training in 2007 for the charges of rioting and theft. He was released in January 2010 but was recalled to Changi Prison in May after he failed to comply with his supervision order.

His mother, a cleaner, expressed that she was unsure why he went back to jail.

She had seen him for the last time shortly before we was re-imprisoned in May. She said that she was unable to visit him as she was stressed and occupied with other family matters at that time.

As a mother, she had visited her son often during his first 3 years and continually encouraged and supported him. She said that as a boy, her son was always affectionate, kind and helpful around the house.

His hobbies included simply listening to the radio, watching TV, playing games and exercising. She said that she is constantly reminded of her son and there isn't a day that goes past when she doesn't think about him.

She continues to live in the same flat that the family used to share and has thought about her son every day since his death 3 years ago.

as long as the prison officer followed procedure... how can he be blamed for what happened?

:angry:

Was victim tied down on to some kind of device?

Other wise, he can just turn over if he got breathing difficulties. Even babies can do it.

Unless they tied him up like a bak chang till he can't move or breath. But that would be more like man slaughter at least.

The facts are not revealed, papers said the family also say they still don't know what happened.

Was victim tied down on to some kind of device?

Other wise, he can just turn over if he got breathing difficulties. Even babies can do it.

Unless they tied him up like a bak chang till he can't move or breath. But that would be more like man slaughter at least.

The facts are not revealed, papers said the family also say they still don't know what happened.

How would the family know? :wacko:

I read this report in The New Paper, this prisoner kicked the officer. Then the officer used pepper spray on him and brought him to solitary cell and kept him in the prone position which caused his death.

Its the mix of pepper spray + prone position that caused his death.

Although the mother said he was a "good" boy, I guess all mothers never see the evil in their children. He was convicted of several offences (rioting n theft) n was not a "good" boy as what I read.

Pity the prison officer was held responsible. I wud have impaled him in the prison courtyard fr the other violent inmates to see n put the fear of death in them. Hopefully most wil behave after seeing that.

(edited)

Too many doubts in this case.

1. It was never mentioned why the inmate kicked the prison officer first thing when he open the cell door. For no good reason? It's the words of the officers against a dead inmate.

2. The usage of baton. Was the inmate hit on the vital areas of his head & body? Never mentioned.

3. Was his hands & legs restrained when he was sent to the cell...in proned position? Nothing mentioned.

4. Is there an autopsy done to determine the inmate died from asphyxiation? Never mentioned.

Looks more like a cover up to me. Even though the victim is a criminal serving his sentence I think it's still necessary for the police to conduct a thorough investigation while the officer is put on suspension.

Edited by Watwheels

My assumption is that he was restainted which means his hands could be tied/cuffed/straped behind his back.

Is that considered excessive force since no one was in the cell with him?

Maybe ty sud hv hog-tied him n put an apple in his mouth? [:p]

At least he wud get hungry in the middle of the night. [laugh]

oh good, wonder why the mum so concern...

i saw in papers that she ever get court order to stop the son from getting near her! :huh:

Hahaha. See when he alive she scared of him. Now he dies in custody she say he good boy. What a joke. [:|]

She prob wil try to get as much compensation as possible. [sly]

Too many doubts in this case.

1. It was never mentioned why the inmate kicked the prison officer first thing when he open the cell door. For no good reason? It's the words of the officers against a dead inmate.

2. The usage of baton. Was the inmate hit on the vital areas of his head & body? Never mentioned.

3. Was his hands & legs restrained when he was sent to the cell...in proned position? Nothing mentioned.

4. Is there an autopsy done to determine the inmate died from asphyxiation? Never mentioned.

Looks more like a cover up to me. Even though the victim is a criminal serving his sentence I think it's still necessary for the police to conduct a thorough investigation while the officer is put on suspension.

Actually SG prisons is one of the best n safest in the world. There r many procedures to protect the inmates.

I suspect that guy was a violent person n a troublemaker. Maybe he sud hv been sent to some prison in brazil or thailand. There he wud hv been given a through good beating. Not from the guards but from the other inmates. [thumbsup]

as long as the prison officer followed procedure... how can he be blamed for what happened?

:angry:

Obviously the officer did not follow all the stated procedures.. Otherwise, why would he own up for the negligence? It would be on record and a life was lost...

↡ Advertisement