Civil Service Job Interview

Little_prince

Twincharged

very true.

even if private willing to accept. probably have to take a big pay cut.

i was fortunate to get a small raise when i left the public for private.

but realized very soon after that it was way below what the peers in my industry was getting.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

if you join cs for a job go for it

if you join cs for career forget it

yeah, it's a good job.

many of my friends who used to come from public often remarked that perhaps one day they wouldnt mind returning back to the public at a snr manager or deputy director position.

maybe take a pay cut but will still get ard $10k salary, low stress, low responsibility, just have to be a yes man. got time to day trade, surf net or doing other part time work during office hrs.

I know of one guy. manager in a stat board. makes 5k a mth. lunch time (or sometimes leave office early) go to gym as instructor and makes another 5k a mth there. Good life!

just curious, how many years have you been in public svc? and how many yrs in pte sector before that?

6 years in private and barely 2 months in public.

Quite a culture shock. People here are generally in no mood of getting anything done.

Twincharged

6 years in private and barely 2 months in public.

Quite a culture shock. People here are generally in no mood of getting anything done.

so shld be in a managerial level? do you have to manage a team?

it's understandable.. getting things done is a double edged sword. Screw up and u are condemned.

Best is not to do too many things. bonus will still come. just ride along and promotion will also come. [laugh]

it's understandable.. getting things done is a double edged sword. Screw up and u are condemned.

Best is not to do too many things. bonus will still come. just ride along and promotion will also come. [laugh]

Correct.

Your last statement... hahaha you must have some inside info on life in here!

remember, in cs, you just score goals and celebrate after that. no one will bother to check if it is an own goal or not. just score! shiok!

Turbocharged
(edited)

Not quite true. You still must be seen to be taking up important roles or leading big initiatives. Otherwise come appraisal time, very hard to push for promotion. Can't just be a good team member, because the leader takes the credit in appraisals.

Screw up or not, is up to you and boss to define, as someone here has said! [laugh] Important is to come up with new ideas to propose and start up.

Edited by Sosaria

Supersonic

I cannot go into details(cos its laughable beyond words & also bcos its confidential lar. For my ears only...haha) but i can say their work job often brings them to unfamilar tasks by policy whether than by profession.

Hokkein say bao sua bao hai.........end up any how do. And the worst is they think have done a good job and reach that milestone. [hur]

heh.....that explains the prata policies we've been seeing lately. <_<

yeah, it's a good job.

many of my friends who used to come from public often remarked that perhaps one day they wouldnt mind returning back to the public at a snr manager or deputy director position.

maybe take a pay cut but will still get ard $10k salary, low stress, low responsibility, just have to be a yes man. got time to day trade, surf net or doing other part time work during office hrs.

I know of one guy. manager in a stat board. makes 5k a mth. lunch time (or sometimes leave office early) go to gym as instructor and makes another 5k a mth there. Good life!

sr manager dun have 10k. asst director only about 5k. SAD abt 6k. maybe dy director might have. titles are grossly over inflated. kinda like AVPs in banks.

Supersonic

liek the 50% car loan policy thingy.

not onli that, but plenty of reactionary policies rather than pre-emptive ones. CM1-7 is one example. plus the current clampdown on showflats and developer sales transparency is another one.

Supercharged

not onli that, but plenty of reactionary policies rather than pre-emptive ones. CM1-7 is one example. plus the current clampdown on showflats and developer sales transparency is another one.

yep....looks more like trial and error approach than well thought-out policies.

seriusly when tch say yesterday that civil service are not overpaid, i can't agree on the portion related to the civil service heavy weights like perm secs. they shouldn't assess whether overpaid by reference to private sector. they should also assess this in full consideration of the resources they consumed and the output and quality of work they delivered.

sr manager dun have 10k. asst director only about 5k. SAD abt 6k. maybe dy director might have. titles are grossly over inflated. kinda like AVPs in banks.

depends on which SB or Ministry u r in...I knw SM in a specific SB is approx.. $5.5K but I think shld hv been adjusted to around $6-$6.5K.. AD approx.. $8K...DD shld exceed 10K...

Yap....Salary wise is around there. [nod]

i think directorship name is given to super impose their position.

Cos they have to deal with various internal ministries, foreign delegates, NS man included and also to the public eyes it is meant to sound intimidating.

DIRECTOR lei!!! Dont play play. Sounds powerfull. Scare tactics actually. [laugh]

In private sector equivalent, their Asst Dir & Snr Asst Dir = Executive level

Deputy Dir & Dir is mid-management level on a department level basis. Something like our GM in charge.

After Director is another set of funny NAMES liao. [laugh] Where the top people are..........only scholars & super high fliers migrate to this stage.

Having said that.........if free can go to their website to count the total number of DIRECOTR-name personnels. Got hell a lot of them. [laugh]

http://app.sgdi.gov.sg/index.asp?cat=1

Supercharged

but hor, one MP apparently think grand sounding positions are not as important as pay.

he ever say if minister lower pay than those private sector people, hard to send those minister to talk to private sector top honchos :D

Yap....Salary wise is around there. [nod]

i think directorship name is given to super impose their position.

Cos they have to deal with various internal ministries, foreign delegates, NS man included and also to the public eyes it is meant to sound intimidating.

DIRECTOR lei!!! Dont play play. Sounds powerfull. Scare tactics actually. [laugh]

In private sector equivalent, their Asst Dir & Snr Asst Dir = Executive level

Deputy Dir & Dir is mid-management level on a department level basis. Something like our GM in charge.

After Director is another set of funny NAMES liao. [laugh] Where the top people are..........only scholars & super high fliers migrate to this stage.

Having said that.........if free can go to their website to count the total number of DIRECOTR-name personnels. Got hell a lot of them. [laugh]

http://app.sgdi.gov.sg/index.asp?cat=1

actually it's opposite of private sector.

in CS: smallest is director -> biggest is secretary

in privates. smallest is secretary. biggest is director.

[laugh][laugh]

CS is a very confusing place. [laugh]

actually it's opposite of private sector.

in CS: smallest is director -> biggest is secretary

in privates. smallest is secretary. biggest is director.

[laugh][laugh]

http://www.asiaone.com/Business/News/Offic...207-326296.html

Those who belong to the MX10 grade - who typically hold deputy director positions with salaries between $6,000 to $10,000 - will receive a 5 per cent pay rise, while officers in the MX11 and 12 grades will get a 10 per cent increase.

deputy director only about 6k?

then asst director probably 5k+ nia lor

↡ Advertisement