Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!

RadX

I want to share my experience which I had with stark automobile. On 18 Apr a guy named Eugene and Jason came over to my place to see my car. I told them I'm looking to sell at $47k. Mine is an airwave 2008. Eugene test drove and after some haggling agreed on $47k. They then wanted to put $1k as deposit and told me to give the COE PIN number which can be obtained online. They will give me a cheque on 21 April.

I told them I cannot agree to this. I instead proposed that once the cheque is credited into my account then I will pass the PIN number which is required for the transfer. Eugene then said that they will give a cashier's order and we give the pin upon receiving the CO. I said I need to see the cash in my account first before I hand over anything. They agreed, gave me a cheque for the $1k deposit.

On 21 April , Eugene called to say that the CO is not ready and that his colleague will pass me the CO on the next day as he is going overseas. I agreed. The next day due to work commitment I could not attend to this deal and I told my wife to attend to it. Jason called on 22 April and talked to my wife saying that the CO is not ready and he needs 1 more day. He also told my wife that upon giving the CO he will need the PIN number for the car transfer. My wife who knows about the agreement told him that that is not what we agreed. He then told my wife that the deal is then off and he wants us to return the $1k deposit. My wife agreed to return the $1k and asked him to give a letter saying that the deal is off. He then demanded that we have to pay him a penalty for breaking the agreement. My wife pointed out to him that he is the one who is breaking the agreement. He then quickly said he will call back and hung up.

A few minutes later he called up saying that the usual practice is that upon handing over the CO the dealer will collect the pin from the seller and how can he trust that we will give the car after the money has been credited to our account. That there are many sellers who cheat the dealers this way. My wife stuck to the original agreement. He finally said that he will come down on 23 April with the CO and that we will have to sign an acknowledgment letter that we have received the CO. My wife agreed. He wanted us to sign and thumbprint as well. A few minutes later a woman identifying herself as Seline called saying that she is Eugene's colleague. She informed that Eugene is overseas and that he asked her to call to see whether everything is ok. My wife told her everything that has taken place and that she is not sure what is actually happening. Seline then told her not to deal with Jason anymore and that she will get back to my wife. A few minutes later Jason calls up and accuses my wife of complaining to Seline. My wife said that there are so many changes from the original agreement and she is not sure what is happening. He then said no need thumbprint just signature will do and a copy of my NRIC. My wife then reminded him that he has already taken a copy of my NRIC on the 18 April so why need again? Then he said no need.

On 23 par he was supposed to come about 2 to 3. He called my wife at 12.30 that he is coming now with the CO and acknowledgement letter. When Jason came he gave my wife a CO for $45k and put down two conditions. One is that he is holding back $1k and the second is that he wants my NRIC once the $45k is credited into my account. Both the $1k and NRIC to be returned once I give him the PIN number. The acknowledgement letter simply stated that we are taking over the CO for the purchase of the car. There was no mention of the missing $1k. My wife refused to sign. He then told my wife that if she doesn't sign she is breaking the agreement. My wife pointed out that the agreement is for a CO of $46k and not $45k. He then told my wife if she doesn't sign she is breaking the agreement and that she has to pay him $1k. And that he will sue us thru his lawyer.My wife said that it is he who is breaking and that she is going to make a police report. Ended up both went to the nearby police post and made separate reports.

Before leaving the police post he told my wife that he feels very offended and that we can keep the $1k deposit or better still if we returned it back. He also said he got no time to go after small money and that he is making a report in the event we report to CASE. Any advice from the bros here? Thanks in advance.

i keep it short for you.....bottom line,

no 46k no talk.

Dealer scare? Tell him Dont be a dealer then if scare this scare that.

↡ Advertisement

Cashier order is cash being withheld by the bank for payment, so as long seller of the car receives received the full amount in CO. they can hand over the pin on the spot. I do have to complement Mayfair motoring, they are honest in their offers. Previously I agreed to sold my car to them at xx price, then they give me a 1k deposit cheque on the spot and old me to hold it not to bank it in so they can give me a CO for the xx amount when I hand over car and pin. Come the day I hand over car, they pass me the CO and all went good.

Seller and dealer must be steady to honour the deal, I do know of some frens who actually back off from the deal when they are being offered just a few hundred more by other dealer when they have committed to selling the car and collected deposit. HAiz

Change from the avante to a toyota vios as both car is around the same price. so i thought if same price might as well get a japan made car as Japanese cars should be more reliable. But proves that Im wrong.... should have stick to the avante..

I never expected my car to be like a new car. But is vibration for a 2006 toyota vios normal? If yes I dont mind. But no!

06 vios is made in jap?

I want to share my experience which I had with stark automobile. On 18 Apr a guy named Eugene and Jason came over to my place to see my car. I told them I'm looking to sell at $47k. Mine is an airwave 2008. Eugene test drove and after some haggling agreed on $47k. They then wanted to put $1k as deposit and told me to give the COE PIN number which can be obtained online. They will give me a cheque on 21 April.

I told them I cannot agree to this. I instead proposed that once the cheque is credited into my account then I will pass the PIN number which is required for the transfer. Eugene then said that they will give a cashier's order and we give the pin upon receiving the CO. I said I need to see the cash in my account first before I hand over anything. They agreed, gave me a cheque for the $1k deposit.

On 21 April , Eugene called to say that the CO is not ready and that his colleague will pass me the CO on the next day as he is going overseas. I agreed. The next day due to work commitment I could not attend to this deal and I told my wife to attend to it. Jason called on 22 April and talked to my wife saying that the CO is not ready and he needs 1 more day. He also told my wife that upon giving the CO he will need the PIN number for the car transfer. My wife who knows about the agreement told him that that is not what we agreed. He then told my wife that the deal is then off and he wants us to return the $1k deposit. My wife agreed to return the $1k and asked him to give a letter saying that the deal is off. He then demanded that we have to pay him a penalty for breaking the agreement. My wife pointed out to him that he is the one who is breaking the agreement. He then quickly said he will call back and hung up.

A few minutes later he called up saying that the usual practice is that upon handing over the CO the dealer will collect the pin from the seller and how can he trust that we will give the car after the money has been credited to our account. That there are many sellers who cheat the dealers this way. My wife stuck to the original agreement. He finally said that he will come down on 23 April with the CO and that we will have to sign an acknowledgment letter that we have received the CO. My wife agreed. He wanted us to sign and thumbprint as well. A few minutes later a woman identifying herself as Seline called saying that she is Eugene's colleague. She informed that Eugene is overseas and that he asked her to call to see whether everything is ok. My wife told her everything that has taken place and that she is not sure what is actually happening. Seline then told her not to deal with Jason anymore and that she will get back to my wife. A few minutes later Jason calls up and accuses my wife of complaining to Seline. My wife said that there are so many changes from the original agreement and she is not sure what is happening. He then said no need thumbprint just signature will do and a copy of my NRIC. My wife then reminded him that he has already taken a copy of my NRIC on the 18 April so why need again? Then he said no need.

On 23 par he was supposed to come about 2 to 3. He called my wife at 12.30 that he is coming now with the CO and acknowledgement letter. When Jason came he gave my wife a CO for $45k and put down two conditions. One is that he is holding back $1k and the second is that he wants my NRIC once the $45k is credited into my account. Both the $1k and NRIC to be returned once I give him the PIN number. The acknowledgement letter simply stated that we are taking over the CO for the purchase of the car. There was no mention of the missing $1k. My wife refused to sign. He then told my wife that if she doesn't sign she is breaking the agreement. My wife pointed out that the agreement is for a CO of $46k and not $45k. He then told my wife if she doesn't sign she is breaking the agreement and that she has to pay him $1k. And that he will sue us thru his lawyer.My wife said that it is he who is breaking and that she is going to make a police report. Ended up both went to the nearby police post and made separate reports.

Before leaving the police post he told my wife that he feels very offended and that we can keep the $1k deposit or better still if we returned it back. He also said he got no time to go after small money and that he is making a report in the event we report to CASE. Any advice from the bros here? Thanks in advance.

i would keep the 1K for wasting so much of your time and the fact that the dealer was the one who changed his tune and want to back out

Supercharged

1. No one has the right to possess another person NRIC under the National Registration Act.

2. By giving only $45k ($1k deposit), the deal price is only $46k which is wrong, agreed deal price is $47k. I don't understand why he is reluctant to give $46k CO unless he wants to pocket the $1k for himself.

3. In every deal, buying house, renting house etc it is common that the deposit will be forfeited if the buyer backs out from the deal.

4. And it is suspicious why he don't include in contract as final $1k payment upon receiving PIN.

For me, I would say keep the $1k, he can't do anything to you.

I think you do not know what a Cashier's Order is. The money is guaranteed by the bank and you can sue the bank if they do not honour it. This is an unnecessary problem created by yourself. You simply got no case against Stark.

Edited by Nav14

I think you do not know what a Cashier's Order is. The money is guaranteed by the bank and you can sue the bank if they do not honour it. This is an unnecessary problem created by yourself. You simply got no case against Stark.

I also think so. Cashier's Order means the other party ady paid the stated amt to the bank in order for the bank to issue it, so the receiving party can immediately bank in or withdraw out. I was wondering how come they din arranged to meet at the bank so they can settle on the spot. Meaning receiving party bank/cash in the cashier's Order n then give the COE PIN no to the dealer, since other parties scared scared of each other. Correct me if I'm wrong [dizzy]

Neutral Newbie

Actually I checked with the bank regarding the CO. Bank said that cash will go in provided no discrepancy on the part of the issuer. so there's no guarantee that the CO will be honoured till u see the cash in yr account. Also, the issuer can cancel the CO anytime after issuing the CO. Having the CO is not a guaranteed cash as we thought.

I also checked with LTA. Once the pin is with the dealer, the car is as good as transferred to him. And once I collect the pin from LTA, i have to do the transfer within 7 days, failing which is an offence.

Actually I checked with the bank regarding the CO. Bank said that cash will go in provided no discrepancy on the part of the issuer. so there's no guarantee that the CO will be honoured till u see the cash in yr account. Also, the issuer can cancel the CO anytime after issuing the CO. Having the CO is not a guaranteed cash as we thought.

I also checked with LTA. Once the pin is with the dealer, the car is as good as transferred to him. And once I collect the pin from LTA, i have to do the transfer within 7 days, failing which is an offence.

So tat y I suggested arrange at the bank there n settle everything.

Normally ppl want cashier's order coz, (1) dun wan carry too much cash, (2) dun wan cheque, scared bounce [bounce1]

Tat's my own opinion.

from my understanding, CO are issued with payee name and the buyer cannot cancel it just like that.

Its cold hard cash in one piece of paper. Whoever told you about CO does not seem to know understand fully what CO is.

The above is not true. get your facts right dude.

the only way to stop a CO is to prove with a police report that the cashier is stolen or missing.

if a CO can be so easily dishonoured, then why do we need CO in the first place?

Edited by Bornno1
  • Praise 1

Once pin collected, u have a time frame (I remember it's 30 days) to do transfer or else the pin will expire. Once expired u will have to write in to lta if u wana collect a fresh new pin. However, once contract signed and car and pin handed over to dealer, the dealer has to do the transfer within 7 days as stipulated by lta.

The only discrepancy is your name wrongly spelt on the CO which you are supposed to check when the CO is placed in your hand. Otherwise the money already deducted from the issuer's account waiting to be transferred to your account once you present the CO. To cancel, the issuer has to produce the original CO to the bank which is not possible as you are supposed to release the PIN only after the CO is in your hand. Like what the earlier poster mentioned, can always do the exchange of CO and PIN at the bank itself if are want to be very kiasu. Once the bank teller cleared the CO , you pass over the PIN but 99.8% of us getting a CO will not bother going to this extent.

Frankly, the dealer representatives have been very accomodating and patient, You can't blame them for keeping $1k aside or even asking the NRIC (which is not legal, though) as their money already deducted from their account while your PIN is still not in their hand. Just like you want 100% certainty you will not get played out, they also have right to be 100% certain you will pass over the PIN. Put yourself in their shoes.

Neutral Newbie

If he was patient, why didnt he inform me that he is making the CO at $45k instead of $46K? Why didn't he put it in the agreement that he is holding back the $1K? When I met up with him just passed me the CO of $45K and asked me to sign a form which states that the CO is the purchase price of the car. No mention of the other $1K and he verbally tells me that hewill give it once I give him the pin. So he is trust worthy?

Another newbie I supposed? Cashier order is the best.. That one money in the bank liao confirmed plus chop. Issuer cant cancel. Only receiver can cancel.. That's if you wanna cancel the deal. For dealer's cashier order, usually no need worry one. To open up CO, the dealer's money is already withdrawn from his acct liao. You just accept and bank in. Simple.

Now lagi best. Got use I banking some more. I know NPNT but that time when I traded in my Mazda, got this guy, he request dealer thru I banking. Dealer on the spot called his bank/boss for authorisation or what, then the bank called the seller to confirm. All this took place when I was doing up my paperwork old skool style.

If he was patient, why didnt he inform me that he is making the CO at $45k instead of $46K? Why didn't he put it in the agreement that he is holding back the $1K? When I met up with him just passed me the CO of $45K and asked me to sign a form which states that the CO is the purchase price of the car. No mention of the other $1K and he verbally tells me that hewill give it once I give him the pin. So he is trust worthy?

Not siding anybody. We r only listening to 1 side of the story. Based on yr story, I think they become tulan halfway. If u had agreed to their initial request (Cashier's Order vs COE Pin No) which was the norm like some bros here said, maybe this would not happen. So end up all this hoo-ha lor.

• Praise 1

Not siding anybody. We r only listening to 1 side of the story. Based on yr story, I think they become tulan halfway. If u had agreed to their initial request (Cashier's Order vs COE Pin No) which was the norm like some bros here said, maybe this would not happen. So end up all this hoo-ha lor.

Problem is we are always hearing stories about dealers cheating customers and hardly any the other way round.

They are the guys that does buy/sell car on a daily basis and for sure always know how to explore loopholes to get more out of consumers. To dealer, this might be the norm, but whats the norm for consumer? They also need to step into out shoes

The only way consumers get protect themselves is having all terms and conditios properly documented, that way both dealer and seller are on the same page. If dealer is bright and honest, what's the harm in stating every thing down on paper? It also helps them to go after the seller if he refused to hand the car over.