Olympics is just table tennis is it?

Ruriimasu

if i'm a talented youngster thinking of pursing a career in sports, i'd be damm discouraged at how the govt bring in so called "foreign talents" and marginalise the local talents in the pursuit of a medal....

+1

they keep on blasting table tennis farking borin man. i dun even have any friends playing table tennis here... WTF just follow top orders ah? useless channel 5

↡ Advertisement

Table tennis: Women's head coach changed after 'embarrassing' dispute in Poland
Thursday, Nov 5, 2015 Asiaone

20151105_850_jingjunhong_st.jpg?itok=ity
Jing Junhong will be redeployed as chief coach (youth development).
Photo: The Straits Times

SINGAPORE - The Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA) is appointing deputy head coach Liu Jiayi as the new head coach of the women's team, replacing Jing Junhong, who will be redeployed as chief coach (youth development).

This comes after players Feng Tianwei and Yu Mengyu had asked "for a change in the women's team coach to help them improve their games", said STTA in a statement on Thursday.

STTA said in the statement that they gave Jing a verbal reprimand and Yu a letter of warning over a dispute between the two at the International Table Tennis Federation Polish Open last month that "caused embarrassment to Singapore and STTA".

Yu had reportedly refused a coaching arrangement made by Jing at the event and caused a commotion between the two.

STTA said that investigations showed that Jing and Yu were both "disrespectful". STTA said further that Yu "has failed to understand the severity of the issue and did not agree that the issue has caused embarrassment to Singapore and STTA". It said Jing "admitted her mistake".

The change of head coach was implemented "in view of the relationship between the players and coach", STTA said.

In her new role, Jing will be responsible for "the development of the Junior Development Squad, Youth Training Squad (YTS) and School within the School (SWS) programme and its coaches".

STTA also said in its statement that they have terminated the services of men's head coach Yang Chuanning. "The decision is being made in the best interest of the players and in view of the upcoming Rio Olympics 2016," it said.

Assistant coaches Wang Xiang and Zhu Jiang will lead the men's team while the association looks for a replacement for Yang.

down hill.......

down hill.......

I don't understand why TT always have problems with their coaches.

Happen few times already.

Possibly big egos? Or perhaps pressure on aspirations to be the no. 2 TT nation behind China?

Rumours also the China men's coach not very inclusive towards our local paddlers and prefer the imports as reported in ST today.

Either way, they have to get their act together or this whole imported FT will fall flat on their faces and the imports have everything  to lose as well. We as a nation will lose as well of course. Shambles.......

• Praise 6

I don't understand why TT always have problems with their coaches.

Happen few times already.

Possibly big egos? Or perhaps pressure on aspirations to be the no. 2 TT nation behind China?

Rumours also the China men's coach not very inclusive towards our local paddlers and prefer the imports as reported in ST today.

Either way, they have to get their act together or this whole imported FT will fall flat on their faces and the imports have everything  to lose as well. We as a nation will lose as well of course. Shambles.......

player bring in medal = player bigger than coach

i think now the player know they are calling the shot since singapore is rank among the top now.

• Praise 1

i think now the player know they are calling the shot since singapore is rank among the top now.

You could be right and it's on a dangerous slope if this is true.

Whilst it is indeed players that brings in the medals but all sports are team games including the people and officials who are the support team ie coaches, physios, psychologists, kit man etc. 

Once a player gets too big for their shoes, it is up to the coaches and Mgmt to stop it or do the necessary to eradicate this disease.

Look at football and in particular Sir Alex Ferguson who got rid of some very high profile players when he felt they were bigger than the club.

• Praise 4

very few TT players in SG. If u have a dispute with your coach, someone has to go lor.

You can't really fault the players for being unhappy also. This is their livelihood as well. If u buay song your coach, how are you going to play your best.

I mean these aren't players in training like below 20 years old. They are already at their prime. If u don't fu your coach, how to play well.

• Praise 1

And lets not kid ourselves. Everyone's here mainly for the money.Players want the big medals soonest as its their retirement ticket.

If coaches get them to play in doubles instead of singles, or any team strategy that threatens their $1mil, its revolt

• Praise 2

And lets not kid ourselves. Everyone's here mainly for the money.Players want the big medals soonest as its their retirement ticket.

If coaches get them to play in doubles instead of singles, or any team strategy that threatens their $1mil, its revolt

To be fair, this guys are professionals. We need their talents n they need the platform. No harm I feel but of course we don't want the type which is like the shot putter or discus Chinese athlete I think who bases herself in China n only appears for SEA games. We want the type like Duric who contributed more than just his sporting skills n is totally immersed into our culture.

But it's difficult for the authorities to read into each importerd athlete's agenda n some judgement call needed. End of day I feel a balance is required. Choose a few of these imported talents carefully but no need wholesale like Table Tennis cos time for bringing in the locals as what the TT officials originally claim that the imports were brought in to raise the local standards so about time this is borne to fruit!

• Praise 5

I can't be bothered with TT and I don't feel proud at all when a medal was won. What's there to be proud of when the so call talents are imported and, some of them even threw away the pink IC after earning enough? Quite a joke to see 2 Chineses playing ping pong with a Singapore and a China flag on their chests.

I do feel good when our locals win a medal, any medals!

• Praise 2

I can't be bothered with TT and I don't feel proud at all when a medal was won. What's there to be proud of when the so call talents are imported and, some of them even threw away the pink IC after earning enough? Quite a joke to see 2 Chineses playing ping pong with a Singapore and a China flag on their chests.

I see a local playing , even lose, I also feel proud.

be it u are part time, full time sportsman.

using ft to play national sport is always a question of medals vs pride. which Is more important

• Praise 3

yeah, like the silat gold in the recent SEA games.

I see a local playing , even lose, I also feel proud.

be it u are part time, full time sportsman.

using ft to play national sport is always a question of medals vs pride. which Is more important

Yes, as long as our sgrean did their best, it doesn't matter if they win a medal or not. Will still be proud. Can qualify is consider good.

Like if my son is average in his studies, cannot make it to top school. Will still be proud if he did he best and go to neighborhood school.

Not going to be like our gahment to adopt another child of different culture, invest money on their tuition and enrichment classes,, while neglecting your own biological son, depraving him of the extra training and attention. Would I be proud of this adopted son achievement if he made the grade? Would I be consider nuturing my own family talent or someone else?

• Praise 3

Kudos to her. Qualified for olympics.

SINGAPORE: Saiyidah Aisyah on Monday (April 25) became the first-ever Singaporean rower to qualify for the Olympics.

The 28-year-old finished first in Final B and seventh overall in the women's single sculls event at the Asia and Oceania Continental Olympic Qualification Regatta held in Chung-ju, South Korea.

Only the top seven qualify for 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. These currently comprise all six rowers in Final A - from Indonesia, Iran, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Taipei, Vietnam - and the winner of Final B, Saiyidah.

Saiyidah, a 2013 Southeast Asian (SEA) Games champion and 2015 SEA Games double bronze medallist, won her tightly-contested race in a time of 7min 53.13s, ahead of Thailand's Phuttharaksa Neegree (7:54.22) and Qatar's Tala Aladin Abujbara (7:55.66).

"I'm extremely tired but it's been worth every bit," a breathless Saiyidah told Channel NewsAsia moments after her event.

- CNA/jo

• Praise 5