Jobless 39-year-old NTU Engineer, nw pt librarian $4/hr

Relacklabrudder

they don't call it "waterway terraces" for nothing ... you want water, you get water. Huat ah !!!

....oops my bad - i forgot ... OK lets call it water feature wall for good feng shui

↡ Advertisement

the most vulnerable group ... [sweatdrop]

the only way out is property agent, insurance agent, taxi driver, become hawker?

above all are so called "self employed" ...

no company wants to hire old & highly trained staff even you take 1/5 of your last drawn salary or just accept what is offer as market rate ... but always kena labelled as "over-qualify"

over-qualify good what ... as long as not over-paid ... no?

Highly trained, middle-aged and out of work

guess who is the one creating all these vulnerability ?

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Thought they say must work longer?

Why never state clearly it is work longer at sharply reduced pay?

• Praise 1

How to not fall when you've worked so hard and climbed so high for 2-3 decades?

Easy. Don't climb. Just be happy with a 2K job for life. Then, even retrenched, go find another 2K job = no loss of face.

Haha...

Don't just rely on employer for salary ba. It's best to have a sideline income, either from teaching others about your hobby, or buying and selling stuff (there's so many ways to sell now that it's laughable if someone claims not to know HOW to go about selling stuff).

That way, once your salary is 50% of your take home income, and your spending is based solely on your salary, even if you lose your job, still can be like MCF table wiper, go wipe table and still be relative financially secure.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Easy. Don't climb. Just be happy with a 2K job for life. Then, even retrenched, go find another 2K job = no loss of face.

Haha...

Don't just rely on employer for salary ba. It's best to have a sideline income, either from teaching others about your hobby, or buying and selling stuff (there's so many ways to sell now that it's laughable if someone claims not to know HOW to go about selling stuff).

That way, once your salary is 50% of your take home income, and your spending is based solely on your salary, even if you lose your job, still can be like MCF table wiper, go wipe table and still be relative financially secure.

Good to be young and have dreams indeed

By the time one turns 40 with family and kids to take care of,

What extra energy, time and capital do we have to put into the sideline?

Most will just forget it as the income from sideline would be quite insignificant given the time and effort compared to the regular day job

If the sideline is lucrative, it would have become the person's full time job way before retrenchment even looms

😂

• Praise 2

Haha...

True

Life is like that, we will reach a peak and after that its all downhill.

What is important is finding that peak and when your career goes downhill its ok as long as you find success in other areas in life. Eg. Family friends, health, knowledge, understanding etc...

I try to save as much as i can. Usually at least 50%.

Also try not to borrow nor pay instalments.

So as not to spend future money on things which hold no good value.

Wiping tables is a tough job.

But someone has to do it.

People who have not done it want to do it.

Those who have cant wait to stop.

CallingLatio 大哥, can i invite you to kopi and cigar, learn some values and vision from you leh....

• Praise 2

if u willing to drive 12hrs per day n work 26 days per mth then yes possible to earn 7K.

i doubt even if work 12 hr a day 26 days a month can really earn 7k

the reporter and the ministers are all in la la land

alot of companies still practice pay cut if you continue to work after 60

even though you doing the same job and same workscope and same perforamance. where is the justice in that?

even the govt sanctions a cut in employers CPF contributions after 55 iirc. where is the logic in that?

Thought they say must work longer?

Why never state clearly it is work longer at sharply reduced pay?

that's true.

most people career will peak abt 40-45?

after that it's a matter of how you control your downward gradient.

True
Life is like that, we will reach a peak and after that its all downhill.
What is important is finding that peak and when your career goes downhill its ok as long as you find success in other areas in life. Eg. Family friends, health, knowledge, understanding etc...

I try to save as much as i can. Usually at least 50%.
Also try not to borrow nor pay instalments.
So as not to spend future money on things which hold no good value.

Wiping tables is a tough job.
But someone has to do it.
People who have not done it want to do it.
Those who have cant wait to stop.

CallingLatio 大哥, can i invite you to kopi and cigar, learn some values and vision from you leh....

For those who are ambitious, career must peaked before 40 in order to reach a C-suite position by early 40s

After 45, it's best not to switch jobs unless you are confident that the company value older folks and you can fit into the culture of the company especially for management roles

Have seen many many cases where people wanted to experience new things, take up new challenges in their 40s because they never did so when younger, only to suffer a pay cut or a career decline after the switch

Challenges and risks should be taken when young because the affordability to rebound is higher

Take very calculative risks on job switch when in 40s, any wrong move will have a severe impact on career and earnings

While the desire to fulfill a wish or dream is strong, sometimes one has to balance between practicality and fulfilling that desire, and most of the time, it would be wiser to choose practicality

• Praise 3

how long one can sustain this kind of "lifestyle" is another question. Even those with iron butt will drop...

if u willing to drive 12hrs per day n work 26 days per mth then yes possible to earn 7K.

For those who are ambitious, career must peaked before 40 in order to reach a C-suite position by early 40s

After 45, it's best not to switch jobs unless you are confident that the company value older folks and you can fit into the culture of the company especially for management roles

Have seen many many cases where people wanted to experience new things, take up new challenges in their 40s because they never did so when younger, only to suffer a pay cut or a career decline after the switch

Challenges and risks should be taken when young because the affordability to rebound is higher

Take very calculative risks on job switch when in 40s, any wrong move will have a severe impact on career and earnings

While the desire to fulfill a wish or dream is strong, sometimes one has to balance between practicality and fulfilling that desire, and most of the time, it would be wiser to choose practicality

Your first sentence is contradictory. Lol

Your first sentence is contradictory. Lol

Hee hee...i realized too....but i think u understand what i m trying to say

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I know a person who became ceo in early forties spending a large proportion of his time away from his family climbing up that ladder

then he was out of job after a few years after becoming ceo because the company kena hostile takeover

Worth it?

😂

I know a person who became ceo in early forties spending a large proportion of his time away from his family climbing up that ladder

then he was out of job after a few years after becoming ceo because the company kena hostile takeover

Worth it?

😂

Poor chap...that's why the company must be sizable and too huge for other companies to swallow

I have a very good friend, became ceo of a subsidiary of a conglomerate before he was 40, and he has been going around acquiring other companies...makes it harder for others to acquire

Worth it?

😂

Now he has all the time to be with the family that he missed out?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1