M1 Fibre Broadband Discussion

LMFAO

Twincharged

Same here. Wait and see.

BTW, do I need to upgrade my hardware in order to enjoy 1Gbps speed?

I not sure also ... someone told me to use higher quality cat6 cables ... but then got someone told me can use cat5e ... but when I tried cat5e, no diff from my cat5 cable ... only can hit 90 mbps up/down at the most.

or maybe got to get another 1gbps network card ... perhaps the one inside my Dell is only 100mbps ? trial and error = $$ !!

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

I not sure also ... someone told me to use higher quality cat6 cables ... but then got someone told me can use cat5e ... but when I tried cat5e, no diff from my cat5 cable ... only can hit 90 mbps up/down at the most.

or maybe got to get another 1gbps network card ... perhaps the one inside my Dell is only 100mbps ? trial and error = $$ !!

Check what motherboard you are using. If you are unsure, go to Start and run cmd to open up the command prompt box. Then type

wmic baseboard get product

You will get the model of your motherboard. Use the model to search on the internet for specifications. Most motherboards should have gigibit ethernet unless yours is very old.

Supersonic

Can try with someone's laptop too.

Don't need to buy a network card to test.

WOW.

That's sibei a**hole. Putting in a reminder in my phone for 2 years time for my dad's line now.

Hmm Singtel usually will send u reminders at least when i was on ADSL.

Starhub not sure, but I'm pretty sure they don't charge $100+ when the contract promotional price ends.

money aside. I just think that the way they do it very buay swee.

Machiam con job.

Legally they are probably in the right but morally seem very dubious.

They also alot of funny termination fee etc which other is dun have.

Just ranting and hopefully can help some bro here

Turbocharged

What's your current router and how is it currently connected?

current router is the Asus RT-N56U which comes from M1 when I signed up their 200mbps plan.

its connected to the ONT (hope I get it right) that look like this.

so do I need to upgrade anything beside my laptop?

20120802-125750.jpg

Supersonic

current router is the Asus RT-N56U which comes from M1 when I signed up their 200mbps plan.

Not sure about the ONT but your router cannot make it (currently yours is an N router)

You will probably need a wireless AC router (at least!) to handle the job. This also means your laptop needs to support AC either thru an external adapter (very unwieldy) or a change in laptop (expensive).

Don't get you.

You should be good to go?

N56 is still wireless N, so your laptop's wifi receiver should have no problems with it.

Not sure about the ONT but your router cannot make it (currently yours is an N router)

You will probably need a wireless AC router (at least!) to handle the job. This also means your laptop needs to support AC either thru an external adapter (very unwieldy) or a change in laptop (expensive).

Wireless N is good up to 54mbps. More than enough for basic surfing, streaming etc.

My Laptop is using wireless N still. My wife's one then is AC adaptor.

Even then the intel AC wifi card got 2 versions. Most likely most laptops use the cheaper one.

Turbocharged

do you think M1 will replace my N router with a AC router? doesn't make sense if they don't right?

Don't get you.

You should be good to go?

N56 is still wireless N, so your laptop's wifi receiver should have no problems with it.

Wireless N is good up to 54mbps. More than enough for basic surfing, streaming etc.

Even then the intel AC wifi card got 2 versions. Most likely most laptops use the cheaper one.

is your wife's AC laptop much faster than your N?

do you think M1 will replace my N router with a AC router? doesn't make sense if they don't right?

is your wife's AC laptop much faster than your N?

normal surfing, can't tell the difference.

I've never speedtested it to be honest, but there should be a difference.

Cos my router is a AC1900 one.

I just upgraded hers to be futureproof rather than anything.

Wireless N works perfectly well for me.

AC is faster at close ranges, the further away, the advantages decrease vs normal wireless N.

Supersonic

He was asking if he had to upgrade his equipment to enjoy the faster speeds if he also upgrades to the 1Gbps plan. N-router cannot support so he has to upgrade.

Anyway, if he is just doing basic surfing and streaming, it might be worthwhile for him to downgrade to the 100 mbps plan for 29 bucks per month (m1 doesn't have the 200 mbps plan anymore and it doesn't matter anyway since his current router doesn't support it anyway).

You have to pay money for the router. The 39 dollar 1 Gbps doesn't seem to come with a router while the 100 mbps plan comes with a free router but it is exactly the same as the one you already have.

For the 100 mbps plan, you can pay more to get a better router while for the 1 gbps plan, you can pay to buy a router too.

Twincharged

for the new $39 contract I signed last month for M1 1gbps, i only get a modem. I do not get any router ... but they do offer me the option of buying one at $5/mth for 24 mths.

anyway, the modem i got from M1 no need the ont anymore ... just plug the optical cable from the wall outlet into the modem and you are good to go on port #1 only. The voice line also can plug directly into the same modem.

so if want to use multiple or wireless devices, then got to purchase another wireless router lor.

Can try with someone's laptop too.

Don't need to buy a network card to test.

i got a 3 year old atom netbook and a 2 year old i7 ultra note.

problem is the i7 is so slim that dun have lobang for network cable !! only can do wireless ... but speed also not good.

atom can plug cable but kinda slow to see any diff.

Turbocharged

You have to pay money for the router. The 39 dollar 1 Gbps doesn't seem to come with a router while the 100 mbps plan comes with a free router but it is exactly the same as the one you already have.

For the 100 mbps plan, you can pay more to get a better router while for the 1 gbps plan, you can pay to buy a router too.

is there any other Telco that offer free router that can support AC for a 1 Gbps plan?

I will jump ship if there is 1.

He was asking if he had to upgrade his equipment to enjoy the faster speeds if he also upgrades to the 1Gbps plan. N-router cannot support so he has to upgrade.

Anyway, if he is just doing basic surfing and streaming, it might be worthwhile for him to downgrade to the 100 mbps plan for 29 bucks per month (m1 doesn't have the 200 mbps plan anymore and it doesn't matter anyway since his current router doesn't support it anyway).

Good point.

is there any other Telco that offer free router that can support AC for a 1 Gbps plan?

Check SH?

Their base router DIR865 is already AC capable. That was the router i got.

Though it's not very good due to the lack of external antenna.

Turbocharged

Good point.

Check SH?

Their base router DIR865 is already AC capable. That was the router i got.

Though it's not very good due to the lack of external antenna.

ok. tks for your advice.

Twincharged

LPPL actually ... you pay $5/mth or buy router directly from M1 + sub of $39 = $120 min for the modem.

if you sign SH $49.90 and get free modem, you end up paying $10 more every month = $240 for the modem.

I bought the xiaomi wireless router $30 ... supposed to be able to go up to 1167 mbps ... still trying though [laugh]

LPPL actually ... you pay $5/mth or buy router directly from M1 + sub of $39 = $120 min for the modem.

if you sign SH $49.90 and get free modem, you end up paying $10 more every month = $240 for the modem.

I bought the xiaomi wireless router $30 ... supposed to be able to go up to 1167 mbps ... still trying though [laugh]

One thing though.

The Asus AC56 offered with the m1 + 5 dollar offer has no external antenna. Personally i prefer routers to have antenna unless your space is compact.

For example the AC66 and AC68 all have antenna. Even the older N56 or N66 have antenna.

Supersonic

Didn't know they had a router. How's the feedback on it?

Twincharged

One thing though.

The Asus AC56 offered with the m1 + 5 dollar offer has no external antenna. Personally i prefer routers to have antenna unless your space is compact.

For example the AC66 and AC68 all have antenna. Even the older N56 or N66 have antenna.

they have other models as well...

" Option to top-up $5/mth for ASUS RT-AC56S router is only available with new sign-ups/re-contract. Alternatively, customer has the option to purchase ASUS RT-AC56S router at $129/ ASUS RT-AC68U router at $229 / ASUS RT-AC87U router at $289 and is only available with new signup/re-contract (while stocks last)."

Didn't know they had a router. How's the feedback on it?

only can say it is working ... how good or how bad ? ... "still trying though" ... but at $30 ... I am not really expecting too much.

↡ Advertisement