Grassroot leader benefits

Picanto

Alot of people have this very purist view of volunteering that should not come with any benefits, but reality is that even with all these "benefits", there is still shortage of grassroot volunteers. If you take away the benefits, many RCs/NCs would have folded. How to manage without volunteers, that is the sad reality.

There are certainly merits in holding social activities within any communities as they promote bonding and sense of belonging and helping out the under-privileged, so the shows must go on.

And btw I am not being hostile, hope I had not offended anyone.

Then that's fine. Don't volunteer. Are rcs really necessary?

So volunteers in opposition parties get more or less benefits? Are they working not as hard due to lesser incentive?

That's all bulls**t lei... IMO that is. How does scms get all the volunteers they need year after year without incentive? Hah.

20 years ago, took part in RC organized tour around Singapore, visits to places like mushroom farm, otar factory, nonya kuih shop and stop over at chicken rice stall for lunch. At every destination, the grassroot auntie and hubby always behave suspiciously strange. Secretly followed them and found out at every stops, they get 'rewarded' by the shop/factory owners. Bag of mushrooms, box of nonya kuih, packet of otar, eat chicken rice for free. At end of trip, nudged the unker (auntie grassroot husband) "ehhhhh.. not bad hur?? Nodding at his big haversack.

Unker stammered "ahh ahh ahh ....."

I told him "ahh simi? How to join RC?" [laugh]

Try going to mps. See the attitude of these volunteers before the mp arrive and after the mp arrives :) their attitude when they are in e same room as mp.

Actually no need so difficult, when your mp go to those block mtg sessions, look at how they portray themselves can Liao.

• Praise 1

All these bashing of glassloot people should stop.

It's their rights to how lian, feel different among peasants,power struggle and many more. It's their self determination that we all should respect that.

• Praise 1

Then that's fine. Don't volunteer. Are rcs really necessary?

So volunteers in opposition parties get more or less benefits? Are they working not as hard due to lesser incentive?

That's all bulls**t lei... IMO that is. How does scms get all the volunteers they need year after year without incentive? Hah.

RCs/NCs are there for a purpose. They are not like volunteering at scms which is once a year. The difference in the level of commitment is so huge! The volunteers most likely just need to attend a pre-event briefing and then the actual event, and I am not sure if alot of them are stanchart bank employees who have been "encouraged" to volunteer. If they are passionate about the event, they would most likely be running in the event as participants.

Anyway I have no intention to engaging in messy politics, just stick to volunteerism thanks.

• Praise 1

RCs/NCs are there for a purpose. They are not like volunteering at scms which is once a year. The difference in the level of commitment is so huge! The volunteers most likely just need to attend a pre-event briefing and then the actual event, and I am not sure if alot of them are stanchart bank employees who have been "encouraged" to volunteer. If they are passionate about the event, they would most likely be running in the event as participants.

Anyway I have no intention to engaging in messy politics, just stick to volunteerism thanks.

Yea bro me too.

Though I disagree as you seem to imply that volunteers for one off or not so frequent events are 'not as passionate'. Volunteering in an event and participating in that event are two different circumstance. I like to eat chicken rice doesn't mean I love to serve the chicken rice to you.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

The problem is not about free food, free parking. It's more about their real intention. Are they really out there to help out for the public or only out for themselves. So I hope RC leaders or Mps etc to go deep and get rid of those rotten apples.

Those that thought they do a very good job and can show face infront of their MP by reserving parking lot should be the one that get warning from their MP 1st. Lecture them not to do that, if they do other stuff beside reserve parking lot to just please the MPs, they should be kicked out of the community and make it very clear that they do not want people join just for their own benefit only.

Sometimes a little argument is good, as got argue means they have things to share and want to make things better. Not those yes sir type. Those are the one that need to be very careful.

Some of the RC members also share your view and they do know who are there for the benefits and who are there to really volunteer. However, sometimes they just bear with it rather than ask them to leave cuz they already have shortage of manpower. Hard to get volunteers during events so no choice.

• Praise 1

I think PAP should feel confident about themselves and stop this grassroots thingy.

Can free up people's time and let them do more meaningful things.

They will still win. It's lidat, just lidat.

• Praise 2

Some of the RC members also share your view and they do know who are there for the benefits and who are there to really volunteer. However, sometimes they just bear with it rather than ask them to leave cuz they already have shortage of manpower. Hard to get volunteers during events so no choice.

Conduct less events since no much volunteers lo...

I want to be a grassroot leader. [:p] Where to sign up?

Can choose where and when to volunteer?

Dont need any benefits, just wana look see look see. [laugh]

Very easy to be a grassroots member.

You have to just have to be a yes man and excellent in carrying balls.

And very importantly, be a die hard supporter of the incumbent party even though supposed to be non- partisan.

• Praise 1

I think PAP should feel confident about themselves and stop this grassroots thingy.

Can free up people's time and let them do more meaningful things.

They will still win. It's lidat, just lidat.

If there are enough suckers around , why not make full use of them?

I used to have a colleague who was a grassroot leader. At work, lazy like F***, everything siam. During office hours, in the office car park washing his car etc. Always leave on time or early because got to attend to grassroots business. That is my only interaction with a grassroot leader and I was not impressed.

We had an Operations Executive employed by our condo who was the Chairman of a RC in the same constituency. We did not extend his retirement behind the official retirement age of 65 because he spent most of his official hours doing grassroots work including having 2-3 hrs lunch breaks attending to grassroots matters. All hell broke loose after this. He went around signing a petition by residents to support his reinstatement. The NC members who were staying in the same condo and reporting to same MP engineered an entry to the condos management council at the following AGM just so to get this comrade of theirs reemployed in the condo. Every council meeting was wasted with these 4 members arguing over why their comrade was unlawfully dismissed and should be reinstated , at the expense of critical upgrading projects in the condo like lift upgrading. We had to end up getting a large number of proxies just to get rid of these NC members at the following AGM. Complained to the MP and she replied with one sentence that it is none of her business.

During that one year they got their way where they proposed and approved a grossly over budget Chinese New Year event where the NC contributed 15% of the cost but all the banners around the condo including the constituency website stated that the event is JOINTLY organized by the Confo and NC.

During MP visit to the condo (one tower at a time) they got the security guards employed by the condo to do the knocking of doors to alert residents that the MP is arriving, a task that is supposed to have been done by the NC members. All they were interested In was walking next to the MP with their mouths wide open smiling artificially.

For those staying in condos just be aware that your management council could be hijacked by these NC members. They have a modus operandi where they make sure that there is some representation of the NC within the management council of the condos that are under the purview of the NC so as to pursue the interests of the NC/MP. My current chairman of the condo's management council is also a member of the Neighbourhood committee(NC) and has been unconsciously promoting the interests of the NC and the MP.

Instead of bringing the community together , supposedly their KPI, these grassroots members are creating divisions and friction amongst residents .

Edited by Nav14
  • Praise 2

Not just hdb flats... EC selection also they get to jump queue.

And agree on these people being weirdos.

In my ns days i had to attend many rc mtgs as local crime prevention rep. Many times it really resembled a mad-house, no kidding.

Eg

1 member claimed lky talked to him every day in his dreams

1 other member claimed that fella is a liar and would raise his voice whenever the former spoke in mtgs

1 other member said there is a conspiracy to kill him

The rc chairman himself is a womaniser and was once beaten up by the secretary's husband after an rc mtg

Dont get me started on pr rc members and their ball polishing skills

There were times i really really wondered if they were all bussed to imh in the daytime, then let out for rc mtgs in the evenings.

:D

Edited by Karoon
  • Praise 5

Obviously someone has an axe to grind, and a big one. Lets just declare all grassroot leaders as jlb and plp and yk people. End of discussion. No point wasting time here.

Added: unless bashing them make you feel good that you can take them out safely behind a PC.

Edited by Heartlander
  • Praise 1

The scheme started well but I am not sure if they are doing what they are suppose to be focusing now. If you call yourself a leader, then be sure you know your objectives and responsibilities. otherwise just simply name them as support team members.

Human mentality. No one will do things for free. There are always some self interests somewhere in everyone's agenda for joining RC.

Some do it for business network

Some do it for school priority

Some do it for MP special assistance

Some do it for privileged parking

Some do it for free food and certain access to events

The list goes on......

↡ Advertisement