Lasik Procedure

Moredhel

Hi brudders, I'm thinking of going for a lasik operation to improve my vision so can drive safer and bio chio bus clearer.

Anyone has a good clinic to intro? Understand that the price range is somewhere around 1700-2700 depending

on the level and type of procedure.

Any bros can share their experience?

↡ Advertisement

Thinking of going for this operation too. Is there any recuperation period required after the operation?

Mine is a desk-bound, computer-based job. Do we need to take MC after the operation to let the eyes recover before going back to the workplace (and stare at computer again)?

Thinking of going for this operation too. Is there any recuperation period required after the operation?

Mine is a desk-bound, computer-based job. Do we need to take MC after the operation to let the eyes recover before going back to the workplace (and stare at computer again)?

Did mine at SNEC. got 2 days MC :) by end of 1st day actually can see liao. 2nd day go followup, and give u 1 day to rest more. 1st few days need to put eyedrops more frequently.

What is the upper llimit of Astigmatism and Myopia for lasik to work safely?

I forgot, but you can go for those free introductory talks and ask the speaker, usually a doc.

i did mine at paragon eye clinic...

sibei alot of hot nurses

you go the website see... they put the nurses photo there

did mine there also................and yes the nurses there sibei chio.......................... [laugh]

I did mine at Eagle Eye, Mt Alvernia. Cost around 3k-4k++. There is a discount of a few hundred if you are "referred" by an ex-customer. They then send some "Thank You gifts" (movie tickets in my case) to the referrer.

The eye is an important organ and I did not appreciate those "mass marketeers" conducting LASIK or those focusing on chio bu so I chose the most expensive option. I knew of 3 others who did at the same place with excellent results so that eliminated some doubt. It was a spur of the moment decision.

The whole process took roughly a day. You are supposed not to wear contact lenses for 24 hrs prior less it influences the actual shape of the cornea.

The morning portion was some basic administration along with some Q&A and they will sell you some guarantee + insurance sort of thing. Then you will undergo some vision tests before they dilate your pupil with some eye-drops for mapping. it takes a few hours for your pupil to be fully dilated, some will find outside light glaring at this point (if they choose to walk around outside).

There is a thickness of your "eye" that will be measured, a person can generally go for LASIK once in his life (it reduces the thickness) with up to twice max (generally I believe).

After mapping data is done, you are ready for the actual surgery. The actual process is around a few minutes per eye. You will be made to wear a surgical gown and an anesthetic will be administered via eye-drops (ignore the idiotic pranksters who tell you there is a needle involved).

There are 2 steps to the procedure. Create the flap, followed by "burn the tissue". The 2 parts involved different machines. The flap creation is the part where some surgeries differ. Some are created mechanically while others are created using a "laser". I chose the latter, all I had to do was lie down and the machines will be brought into place. There are videos on YouTube which shows you the actual creation (some are deliberately fake).

"Creating the flap" takes approximately 1 minute, the machine will count down in intervals of 15 secs I think. Your eye will be clamped during the process to avoid movement, the tension involved will "black out" your eye temporarily. When the flap is "peeled back" your view will appear noticeable differently, I think slightly blurred. I believe LASIK can be carried out without this "flap creation" part but it will entail a longer healing period. It will feel like a torture chamber as you will be unable to move since your eye is held in place. You can count the time mentally to distract yourself.

Once the flap is peeled back, another machine will be brought to bear. You will be able to see for this portion. You will be asked to focus on the laser point, a bright blurred red dot that gets progressively sharper as your vision improves. You will notice a strong burning smell during the process. Chao Ta smell.

Your eye will be washed frequently by them during the operation. That's it. I can't remember if both flap was created first before the "burning" or was it a single flap followed by burn.

You will "tear" quite alot after the operation. A similar experience will be chlorine in your eye (swimming pool). A blank contact lens was inserted into both eyes to avoid disturbing the flap. One of mine dropped out the first hour as your eye will be very dry. Eye-drops are to be applied regularly for the first few days. Curiously, I felt the stinging sensation more often in the eye whose lens dropped out.

A goggle will be provided for you to wear at night (to prevent inadvertent rubbing) along with a handphone number for the "duty doctor" in case you need emergency contact. They will also call you up around evening/night time to check on you. Medically however, the doctor said that they are taught in school that the flap will heal/seal in a few hours.

You do not require MC as you can function as per normal. You might want to rest a while before driving or ask someone to drive you though.

You will be required to return for evaluation. I think something like, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 month. I skipped after the 3 "evaluation".

Oh, and LASIK surgeons do not undergo LASIK themselves. I remember asking him that question. LASIK has its complications and I think in part, they do not trust another surgeon. After all, their eyes are their livelihood.

Oh, and a photo of you lying on the operation table will be given to you as a memento.

*Perspective given from a lay-man who has undergone LASIK. Terms used may be inaccurate.

Edited by Iisterry

Is it done by Dr Julian Theng too? A few frens of mine done it there too.

Yes. You too? I had 2 Army Captains, 1 of his wife, along with me & another friend done there.

I heard him on 93.8 a week ago I think.

Oh, I was "warned" of the candid shot they take of you on the table.

Yes. You too? I had 2 Army Captains, 1 of his wife, along with me & another friend done there.

I heard him on 93.8 a week ago I think.

Oh, I was "warned" of the candid shot they take of you on the table.

Nope, I haven't done it yet. [laugh]

But I heard he is good though. Next time, if I decide to do I will definitely find him.

Me did think of doing Lasik as well but worried abt side effects..I know the risk is very low but as the eyes is a very impt organ, can't really afford for things to go wrong..

Actually my concern is not so much the risk of a bad surgery.

Rather I find that it may not be worth the hassle cos I am oredi in my late 30s. I will probably get lao hua in a few years time so i will still have to wear glasses.

If you are less than 30, you should go for it.

[thumbsup]

Hi guys, thanks for all your inputs and esp listerry for sharing his experience.

Been looking through and considering eagle eye centre or premium lasik surgery clinic.

Eagle eye seems tocome highly recommended by bros here but it's a little off budget.

Premium LSC is recommended by a friend who had close to perfect results and can go drinking on the day itself. ^^

It's also rather alot cheaper in the 2.3k range.

I'm looking at the procedure with intralase laser flap creation and Visx star s4 ir excimer laser system.

Apparently it's more tissue saving and no need to dilate the pupils before surgery.

Yet to research eagle eye on their equipment.

↡ Advertisement