Budget  

182 members have voted

1. 1. How much

• $1,000-$3,000
    • $3,000-$5,000
    • $5,000-$7,000
    • $7,000-$10,000
    • More than $10,000

bought the loose diamond from a dealer and set myself...

0.71 carat

VS1

E colour

about 5.6k

it was slightly over my budget but the look on her face was worth it =)

but her first comment put me off: " Buy so big for what?" bu the smile on her face says it all... =)

i was like wtf... hahaha... but i just wanna give her the best i could afford....

bought the loose diamond from a dealer and set myself...

0.71 carat

VS1

E colour

about 5.6k

it was slightly over my budget but the look on her face was worth it =)

but her first comment put me off: " Buy so big for what?" bu the smile on her face says it all... =)

i was like wtf... hahaha... but i just wanna give her the best i could afford....

can pm me ctc of the dealer? and where did u set it???

hehehe.... i can imagine the look on her face...

Problem is i can tell from the naked eye. difference between a D and a F. she can tell too... so i was thinking 1 time do swee swee... no need too big. around 0.50-0.60Carat. next time den slowly upgrade...

Wah a few BMT Jewellery trips you can be certified Gemologist - Pro man !

I agree with someone's post - buy within you means. 99% after marriage its in the Safebox or Safe Deposit Box in the Bank...

My wife's 0.5ct Proposal ring I think I 10yrs din see it already...

Larry, Je Taime, Tiffany's not my league...

Wah a few BMT Jewellery trips you can be certified Gemologist - Pro man !

I agree with someone's post - buy within you means. 99% after marriage its in the Safebox or Safe Deposit Box in the Bank...

My wife's 0.5ct Proposal ring I think I 10yrs din see it already...

Larry, Je Taime, Tiffany's not my league...

[laugh] i surprised a few sales ppl ytd. [scholar]

nah... i will avoid larry and tiffanies and the wad harry winston my gf mention... [:|]

Turbocharged

First of all, congrats on the intention to buy the proposal ring which will ultimately lead to the suffer-ring. [laugh]

Secondly, agree with most of the bros' comments and don't agree with your friend's gf comments about 4x salary. Siao ah!

My experience to share only: Bought a diamond ring many 12 years ago to propose. Less than 1x my mthly salary definitely. It's what I can afford comfortably without compromising on our savings for the future which includes housing and such. She wore it for I think 1 month then the novelty wore off and off it went into the box. It only showed up again on the wedding day itself and then it went into hibernation again. On and off over the years, I think she wore it less than 10 times since. [:p] She said it interferres with her daily life.

Btw, we had not worn our wedding rings for more than 10 years already. [laugh] For me, I hate accessories and the ring keeps slipping. For her, she said housework will scratch it. We need to do housework almost daily.

So far, the suffer-ring has not reared its head. [:/]

Edited by Kxbc

can pm me ctc of the dealer? and where did u set it???

hehehe.... i can imagine the look on her face...

bought online actually... blue nile... quite famous in the industry

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?fil...&track=head

ring setting and design add in another 500-1000 depending on material...

if gonna wear daily get platinum... more lasting...

white gold tend to scratch easily...

cheers...

then start thinking of proposal idea... for me it was at a lakeside in myanmar... hahaha

Neutral Newbie

Ytd i was shopping for a proposal ring... I was walking around tampines mall/one area, after going through all the shops i was deciding on a 0.46carat color D clarity VVS1, EX,VG,VG from Soo kee. the SE quoted me $2499 after resetting and everything.

i was wondering i whether or not its a good deal. i suddenly tot of my buddy's gf, who is somewhat a expert in diamonds. she told me a proposal ring is supposed to be 4x my monthly income. and my gf deserve morethan a 0.44 $2.5k ring i was like, like that i must spend more than $10k liao.

she also advise that no point gg to the general shops as im actually paying for the brand. she told me she wanna recommend me a few private custom jewellers to custom set for me

im wondering how much u guys spend on the ring that make u go on ur knees and whether u all got custom jewellers to intro anot... i dont mind spending but most impt must get best deal

The times(x) number of month salary shows how much she meant to you though not all girls see it this way. 5k budget can get u a nice 0.5 carat diamond ring with decent 4Cs. It is usually better to buy from the bigger and more established brand as they have price guarantee on some of their diamond rings. Meaning you can go back, trade in and upgrade your ring after a few years. Since you are buying the ring, your gf may not like what you buy. After all that hoohaa proposal moment and the "I do" she might want to change to a design she likes or upgrade to a bigger ring after a few years. Remember that diamond rings are women's Bragging right even after they are married.

The times(x) number of month salary shows how much she meant to you though not all girls see it this way. 5k budget can get u a nice 0.5 carat diamond ring with decent 4Cs. It is usually better to buy from the bigger and more established brand as they have price guarantee on some of their diamond rings. Meaning you can go back, trade in and upgrade your ring after a few years. Since you are buying the ring, your gf may not like what you buy. After all that hoohaa proposal moment and the "I do" she might want to change to a design she likes or upgrade to a bigger ring after a few years. Remember that diamond rings are women's Bragging right even after they are married.

that is utter nonsense my friend...

a proposal ring has great emotional significance for a couple...

i don't believe any woman will ever trade in their rings even for a upgrade...

if she does then hmm.......

[laugh] i surprised a few sales ppl ytd. [scholar]

nah... i will avoid larry and tiffanies and the wad harry winston my gf mention... [:|]

you avoidng larry so i dun need pm u liao... but lazare cut is really different

this i agree... i dont think anyone would ever trade in their ring for upgrade or anything...

the ring means a lot

my gf wore her engagement ring almost everyday right up to wedding

Neutral Newbie

U don't know women .... the diamond ring is a bragging right. U go office wearing a small ring and meet another wearing a bigger ring, how would u feel ? I used to think the same thing as u but reality strucked. If you can afford it get at least 0.5

MY WIFE TRADED IN MY PROPASAL RING !! Cos it was too small....0.3C and upgraded to 0.5C, D color VVS1 after 1 year. Feeling from the proposal doesn't last forever. Better to be safe than sorry

Edited by Kax2

Neutral Newbie

this i agree... i dont think anyone would ever trade in their ring for upgrade or anything...

the ring means a lot

my gf wore her engagement ring almost everyday right up to wedding

Look at her if she ever admire diamond ring from a jewellery display, then ask her really if she wants a bigger diamond ring. No reason not to unless u cannot afford it.

A lot of ppl dun wear their whatever rings is becos the fear of scratching it and dan dunno go where to polish it. Thinking it will cost a bomb. 2nd thing I can think of is ppl have grown pretty fat and ring cannot fit anymore. Thinking altering the size will also cost a bomb. So the rings stay in the box. What a pity.

You guys should go walk around Chinatown area. There are so many jewelry shops that sell loose diamonds, ready made rings for your diamonds, alterations/refurbishing, custom made jewelry etc etc. I can tell you , if you ask around these shops you will be surprised, it won't burn a hole in your pocket like most think. Some can even get it done in 30mins(ring size alterations, ready made proposal rings w/o diamond).

If you are a silly goat and go to those branded shops with the rings that cannot fit anymore, they will psycho you to buy a new ring. Like my friend who kenna. If want to alter size, wait for dunno a week or so. I can get it done in 30 mins...tops. Dun have to ask me for contacts. Just stroll along Chinatown area, can easily spot their signage on their specialty and service.

U don't know women .... the diamond ring is a bragging right. U go office wearing a small ring and meet another wearing a bigger ring, how would u feel ? I used to think the same thing as u but reality strucked. If you can afford it get at least 0.5

MY WIFE TRADED IN MY PROPASAL RING !! Cos it was too small....0.3C and upgraded to 0.5C, D color VVS1 after 1 year. Feeling from the proposal doesn't last forever. Better to be safe than sorry

no comments about your wife....

↡ Advertisement