---------------------------------------------

Singapore and immigration

A PR problem

Nov 12th 2009 | SINGAPORE

From The Economist print edition

Immigration becomes the hot political issue in a model city-state

AT CHINA

↡ Advertisement

Bringing in foreigners to be PR and even getting Spore citizenship without planning ahead.

One important note is the miss of culture education..

"Culture Education" is a very hotly contested topic in many countries - just look at Australia and their "citizenship test" that was decried as racist in many circles. Some of the questions on that test not even citizens could answer and it was seen to be skewed towards WASPS, particularly in terms of language ability.

New Zealand has an English language requirement as part of their citizenship requriements (it can be wiaved in some circumstances), with English as the national language though I feel that's defensible.

Rather than "culture" education I feel that history and legal education would be more important - to me its too easy for "culture education" to fall into propagandism, indoctrination and subjugation of minority or alternative culture. And who gets to say what is the "culture" of a country? Culture is the sum total of all citizens, with each and every citizen having an input into culture - PR, Worker, Citizen and indigenous person alike.

Btw, is there any other country except SG where I can go to as a PR to enjoy the benefits of citizenship without all the responsibilities? I'll like that.

Our dear govt has shown us that it's actually good to be a PR in a foreign land, so maybe we need to rethink about living in SG as citizens, we should be aiming to be PRs in greener pastures.

Btw, is there any other country except SG where I can go to as a PR to enjoy the benefits of citizenship without all the responsibilities? I'll like that.

Our dear govt has shown us that it's actually good to be a PR in a foreign land, so maybe we need to rethink about living in SG as citizens, we should be aiming to be PRs in greener pastures.

In New Zealand as a PR (I think) you are allowed to vote, land ownership is not at all restricted and you get the same access to healthcare as a citizen does - all benefits that PR dun have here.

SG Citizens also have far more govt benefits than PR do (flat subsidies, but direct from govt for HDB, CPF top-up to name just a few)

It's very easy to see a different colour working and complain, but also must appreciate just how much govt does actually do here....

recently my gf told me something she heard in the mrt.

2 ah tiongs, white collar, CBD area staffs enter mrt w 1 angmoh. all 3 charbo.

talking halfway, angmoh ask ah tiongs wads the meaning of 'Changi',

f--king ah tiongs luan hiong, say Changi is 昌宜, 昌盛的昌, meaning prosper. [thumbsdown]

knnbccb!

its one thing not knowing, but not knowing say dono, beh hiao...

but f--king ah tiongs like to hiong. anyhow pom 1 thing to angmoh, distort the history of my country. NBCB! [furious]

f--k man all these ah tiongs, slowly they will write singapore history in their own views and ways.

this is 1 small thing my gf overheard, might have much much more we dono of.

pls Men In White, review ur policies. educate our FT

i'm sad tat they distort the history of my nation.

i grew up singaporean, la teh at kopitiam, eat CKT, laksa at hawker.

f--k, next time maybe they say laksa means some other chinese words... [bounce1]

In New Zealand as a PR (I think) you are allowed to vote, land ownership is not at all restricted and you get the same access to healthcare as a citizen does - all benefits that PR dun have here.

NZ sounds like a PR heaven

f--king ah tiongs luan hiong, say Changi is 昌宜, 昌盛的昌, meaning prosper. [thumbsdown]

knnbccb!

but f--king ah tiongs like to hiong. anyhow pom 1 thing to angmoh, distort the history of my country. NBCB! [furious]

f--k man all these ah tiongs, slowly they will write singapore history in their own views and ways.

f--k, next time maybe they say laksa means some other chinese words... [bounce1]

So what is the meaning of Changi? I forgot.

sad to say, as a local bred singaporean all my life, i dono also

muahahaha...

BUT.........

i would never say its 昌宜: somemore say 昌盛的昌!

somemore say until got dragon got tiger!

knnbccb!

Why didn't you interrupt and correct him on the spot?