Any autistic people around?

Rjmsfire

Neutral Newbie

Do you guys know of any grouping of autistic people or are autistic yourself? I am, and would like to get to know similar people. I've never known anyone who's autistic.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Do you guys know of any grouping of autistic people or are autistic yourself? I am, and would like to get to know similar people. I've never known anyone who's autistic.

it seems fairly common these days. perhaps due to the availability of more comprehensive diagnosis. when my kid in P1, there ws at least 3 autistic boys in his class.

Edited by Kopi_peng

I thought Autism is mainly during childhood. With treatment nowadays it's rare to have an adult still in that state. Autism is having problems in communication, I dun think they will interact in forums. If they do, like you, probably they are no longer autistic.

Neutral Newbie

The full term for autism is autism spectrum disorder. "spectrum" is the key word I want to highlight. Autistic people have an impairment in social interaction and communication, but the severity and symptoms varies across a spectrum. Therefore, there will be those with more severe forms of autism who won't surf forums as their communication is really poor, or they are just not interested. There will also be those like me, with milder forms of autism, who are more or less like normal people, but still have something missing, something incomplete, when it comes to social interactions with people.

Another thing is, autism can't be cured. So while autistic children may be helped to cope with dealing with the rest of the world and fit in more, the 'mis-wiring' in the brain will always be there, up till and through adulthood. You may not see adults who are obviously autistic in the street or the workplace because those adults who are severely autistic will have difficulty living independent lives, like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man, so they may just end up staying at home throughout their lives. While the mildly autistic ones, like me, behave more or less normal, maybe somewhat eccentric or strange, so it's not obvious to the people around me that I'm autistic. Anyway, most people don't know what's autism.

I thought Autism is mainly during childhood. With treatment nowadays it's rare to have an adult still in that state. Autism is having problems in communication, I dun think they will interact in forums. If they do, like you, probably they are no longer autistic.

bro,

i beg to differ..

you can't "no longer be autistic" since autism cannot be "cured"

in any case, autistic persons can interact in forums as well..there are high functioning ones who can do almost anything like what a "normal person" can..except have some difficulties in some social settings and interactions

the above's what I gleaned from a quick word with my wife..psychologist

The full term for autism is autism spectrum disorder. "spectrum" is the key word I want to highlight. Autistic people have an impairment in social interaction and communication, but the severity and symptoms varies across a spectrum. Therefore, there will be those with more severe forms of autism who won't surf forums as their communication is really poor, or they are just not interested. There will also be those like me, with milder forms of autism, who are more or less like normal people, but still have something missing, something incomplete, when it comes to social interactions with people.

Another thing is, autism can't be cured. So while autistic children may be helped to cope with dealing with the rest of the world and fit in more, the 'mis-wiring' in the brain will always be there, up till and through adulthood. You may not see adults who are obviously autistic in the street or the workplace because those adults who are severely autistic will have difficulty living independent lives, like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man, so they may just end up staying at home throughout their lives. While the mildly autistic ones, like me, behave more or less normal, maybe somewhat eccentric or strange, so it's not obvious to the people around me that I'm autistic. Anyway, most people don't know what's autism.

great..

how u doing?

I dunno but I always associate down syndrome with Autism. I'm not saying you are down syndrome but the two are connected genetic disorder. I have read about it but it was a long time ago.

I dunno but I always associate down syndrome with Autism. I'm not saying you are down syndrome but the two are connected genetic disorder. I have read about it but it was a long time ago.

bro,

once again, i beg to differ

no, down's and autism are separate

there are unfortunate people who have both, granted..but doesn't mean having one will have the other

i saw a documentary, not sure what now, it talks about some autistic people with exceptional abilities, like photographic memory and math abilities.. etc.. but these abilities are not always present in autistic people and over time, they may lose it.

this is a really interesting and undiscovered area of the human mind. the question is, are most human's brains impaired because autism seems to unleash abilities in some cases. there is still so little we know about it.

I am not but I would like to add you as my friend.

Haha....u think this is Facebook? [laugh]

I do read bit about autism when I was about to become a father, I know one of the symptom dat ur kid is autistic is if he refuse to make eye contact with you.

Recently, there was a boy who was autistic..he died when he banged his head against the wall...in front of his parents..dat is so traumatising.

Hi, I am too :) Had a really hard child hood.. Being seem as the "odd" one out. But lucky parents and relatives gave lots of love and care. Had a hard time going after my wife too hahaha. Was the quiet and "non" interactive" guy and lucky my wife chose me hehe.

to be honest, till now I still have problems expressing myself. My wife knows me very well and always hang around me for lots of stuff, she is the one to on the front line and I support her. My work is a one to one basis hence no issue.

But to be honest, being autistic really makes life a bit tougher...

i have a nephew who's autistic and i think it's pretty severe cos till 10 years old, he's not able to make speech and learn. i'm happy to hear that there are some who managed to live a normal life in adulthood. But for the severe ones, i doubt life is ever going to be normal for them.

i have a nephew who's autistic and i think it's pretty severe cos till 10 years old, he's not able to make speech and learn. i'm happy to hear that there are some who managed to live a normal life in adulthood. But for the severe ones, i doubt life is ever going to be normal for them.

need lots of care, effort, nurturing and attention bro..got therapy/counselling sessions as well

Neutral Newbie

as explained above, it really depends on which end of the spectrum u are on. some had it worse coz totally unable to relate to others socially while others may still be able to go thru mainstream school system.

i saw a documentary, not sure what now, it talks about some autistic people with exceptional abilities, like photographic memory and math abilities.. etc.. but these abilities are not always present in autistic people and over time, they may lose it.

this is a really interesting and undiscovered area of the human mind. the question is, are most human's brains impaired because autism seems to unleash abilities in some cases. there is still so little we know about it.

Ya, somehow in movies they also always show pple who have special brain abilities to be autistic.

↡ Advertisement