How bad can it get?

Windwaver

I was so surprised on the phone just now while talking to a friend who is looking for a job. He told me this famous recruitment agency (Rec****Exp****) asked him for this name and AGE for his application.

Maybe these days they sort applications by age :D. Talking about getting old.........

↡ Advertisement

I was so surprised on the phone just now while talking to a friend who is looking for a job. He told me this famous recruitment agency (Rec****Exp****) asked him for this name and AGE for his application.

Maybe these days they sort applications by age :D. Talking about getting old.........

Recruitment Agencies are customers driven. Having the applicant's age information helps them to filter out apparently unsuitable applicants at the early stage, and avoid wasting time on applicants that have a low potential.

Such agencies are not charitable organisations, they do job matching for a fee paid by the clients (i.e. companies), so they are really not working for the candidates. They know very well which side of their bread is buttered.

(edited)

Recruitment Agencies are customers driven. Having the applicant's age information helps them to filter out apparently unsuitable applicants at the early stage, and avoid wasting time on applicants that have a low potential.

Such agencies are not charitable organisations, they do job matching for a fee paid by the clients (i.e. companies), so they are really not working for the candidates. They know very well which side of their bread is buttered.

Yeah, maybe, so once you're old say 3x/4x, you're pretty dead meat in S'pore even if you were a director or manager before [sweatdrop]

Edited by Windwaver

depends on job i guess.... some job needs the experience eg engineering.... if they looking for a sr engineer post they would expect a candidate with approx 10 yrs exp. hence age would be at least 35...

you can't look for a guy with 10 yrs exp as an engineer in a particular field that's below 30 rite?

Yeah, maybe, so once you're old say 3x/4x, you're pretty dead meat in S'pore even if you were a director or manager before [sweatdrop]

The problem nowadays is that jobs that are available are mostly entry level jobs. There aren't that many senior level jobs available.

But then again even with retraining, it's hard to shoe horn a former PMET earning above 5k into a <2k service industry level job. That's why many of them would rather do their own business. Even for me, while I'm not facing any immediate threat of retrenchments, it's a wake up call for me. And I'm actively working on setting up my own business.

That said, I think Sing is a very good country, in that as long as one is willing to find a way out (either work or do business), one will not starve to death.

The problem nowadays is that jobs that are available are mostly entry level jobs. There aren't that many senior level jobs available.

But then again even with retraining, it's hard to shoe horn a former PMET earning above 5k into a <2k service industry level job. That's why many of them would rather do their own business. Even for me, while I'm not facing any immediate threat of retrenchments, it's a wake up call for me. And I'm actively working on setting up my own business.

That said, I think Sing is a very good country, in that as long as one is willing to find a way out (either work or do business), one will not starve to death.

Pretty true. It just worries me to see even 3x people having problems looking for a job these days. So you're expected to land yourself in the 'correct' job right after graduating from university which puts you in the 2x range. So you'll only have say 5 years to get the right job [sweatdrop]

Pretty true. It just worries me to see even 3x people having problems looking for a job these days. So you're expected to land yourself in the 'correct' job right after graduating from university which puts you in the 2x range. So you'll only have say 5 years to get the right job [sweatdrop]

I think a mindset change is called for. The usual expectations - graduate, get a 2k job, get promoted, buy car, get married, have kids.... have to change.

It all boils down to how we define success. Sometimes the best living involves taking some risks, and doing things differently. Getting a job is but means to an end, not an end initself. If we take that kind of attitude, we realise that they are alternatives to getting a job, like going into business.

At the end of one's life, what would you like to have? Satisfaction that you got a cushy and well paying job? Or satisfaction that you have lived your life to it's fullest, and took every opportuntieis, challenges and risk that comes along?

At the end of one's life, what would you like to have? Satisfaction that you got a cushy and well paying job? Or satisfaction that you have lived your life to it's fullest, and took every opportuntieis, challenges and risk that comes along?

Well said Bro! Currently, I am reading a book, titled "The five secrets you must discover before you die" by John Izzo. It's a very good book which I would recommend ppl to read. One of the chapters talks about leaving no regrets and taking risks and i guess your statement above sums it up. [thumbsup]

I am truly glad I have my retirement plan all worked out....

Got my coaching license many donkey yrs ago, and 1 yr ago I tried going full time, earned abt 7k a month on 30hrs work a week, which is pretty comfy...and it keeps me fit and about.

Your friend's CV never indicate age or NRIC?

I just asked.......that fellow didn't even read his CV [sleeping]

I think a mindset change is called for. The usual expectations - graduate, get a 2k job, get promoted, buy car, get married, have kids.... have to change.

It all boils down to how we define success. Sometimes the best living involves taking some risks, and doing things differently. Getting a job is but means to an end, not an end initself. If we take that kind of attitude, we realise that they are alternatives to getting a job, like going into business.

True true but try telling those to the young generation all these and you'll know what I mean. Old folks like us earn what they request as starting pay after 10 years and I'm surprised that some companies acutally pay that (don't ask me how I know, I'm on good terms with people preparing pay slips [gossip] ). Having said that, I also think that no matter how determined one is, there are external factors playing a major part; eg. age, luck.

[lipsrsealed]

BEDmintion. [laugh]

er...racket does not mean the RACKET you make on the bed hor [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

[inlove][inlove]

↡ Advertisement