Ford Mondeo

Samshio

Neutral Newbie

camry will cost at least 10k more than Mondeo ??

Agree but reliable. My friend's Mondeo gearbox faulty. Agent quoted him $15k to repair. Understand the Mondeo's OMV is about $25k!!!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Got offered Mondeo at $154k but OMV is around $24k so need to do maths.....based on CoE at $67k.

Depreciation will be around $14k. Basic cost is $125k based on current CAT B Coe price of $68,668. If it's $67k coe, basic cost is approx $123k.

So the things that matter to you:

1. Depreciation is $14k/year, based on $24k COE, regardless of what is the COE value, provided you drive 10 years.

2. The profit margin to Regent is abt 25%.

But overall still have to consider what is the trade in value for your car, and the interest rate you have to take

Agree but reliable. My friend's Mondeo gearbox faulty. Agent quoted him $15k to repair. Understand the Mondeo's OMV is about $25k!!!!

Just to check whether it's the Ecoboost version? Mileage when the gearbox fails?

Depreciation will be around $14k. Basic cost is $125k based on current CAT B Coe price of $68,668. If it's $67k coe, basic cost is approx $123k.

So the things that matter to you:

1. Depreciation is $14k/year, based on $24k COE, regardless of what is the COE value, provided you drive 10 years.

But overall still have to consider what is the trade in value for your car, and the interest rate you have to take

My plan at this moment is for keeping 5yrs.

My plan at this moment is for keeping 5yrs.

Very hard to determine depreciation just based on 5 years usage, as the selling price after 5 years depends on market conditions. Assuming similar COE prices, probably at best can sell for $70k after 5 years usage.

So your depreciation for 5 years usage likely to be abt $16.8k per year, compared to $14k per year had you drive 10 years till end of COE

Whilst profit is ~25%, margin over Basic Cost is ~20%.

It's certainly the same calculation I use in the office, let's say BC/0.8. Given the lower sales volume the margin is actually quite fair compared to the likes of Audi, BM or MB. I don't understand it but Wearnes are coming in very low at the moment with the XF, almost at cost with a super high OMV.

Very hard to determine depreciation just based on 5 years usage, as the selling price after 5 years depends on market conditions. Assuming similar COE prices, probably at best can sell for $70k after 5 years usage.

Am only calculating depreciation on the paper value alone, not the resale/trade-in of the car itself. I appreciate it's not accurate but it's a direct-for-direct comparison to estimate monthly cost in the worst case.

Thanks though, helping get a bit closer to making a decision [nod]

Whilst profit is ~25%, margin over Basic Cost is ~20%.

It's certainly the same calculation I use in the office, let's say BC/0.8. Given the lower sales volume the margin is actually quite fair compared to the likes of Audi, BM or MB. I don't understand it but Wearnes are coming in very low at the moment with the XF, almost at cost with a super high OMV.

Am only calculating depreciation on the paper value alone, not the resale/trade-in of the car itself. I appreciate it's not accurate but it's a direct-for-direct comparison to estimate monthly cost in the worst case.

Thanks though, helping get a bit closer to making a decision [nod]

yes, the XF is definitely a very nice proposition if you can afford. I'm also tempted at the almost 0% margin, but the max I can stomach is probably $150k.

However, based on budget of $200k, the XF is certainly very attractive.

(edited)

70k probably can get back at 3 yrs but not 5yrs

Dont think we can get back ~50% after 5yrs from any model. For mondeo, it will be worst as there is no resale value. To be conservative, we should calculate at scrap value when at 5 yrs

So your depreciation for 5 years usage likely to be abt $16.8k per year, compared to $14k per year had you drive 10 years till end of COE

Edited by Axela72

70k probably can get back at 3 yrs but not 5yrs

Dont think we can get back ~50% after 5yrs from any model. For mondeo, it will be worst as there is no resale value. To be conservative, we should calculate at scrap value when at 5 yrs

Frankly, do one buy a car he enjoys driving or one is worried about resale value and not enjoying the drive?

Frankly, do one buy a car he enjoys driving or one is worried about resale value and not enjoying the drive?

One should also be worried of buying an unreliable car.

One should also be worried of buying an unreliable car.

Well, maybe I'm lucky. So far, we have no issue w Ford Mondeo Ecoboost. It's 3 years old and at 80,000 km.

The warranty is 5 years / 100,000 km. The litmus test would be after 100,000 km.

Looking at many reviews on YouTube re the new mondeo , the new one is just a regular automatic while the previous one is a dual clutch

So gearbox wise should be more reliable now

Hope the wagon will come soon, but now many choices open like BMW 218i AT, Peugeot 308 GT wagon (do hope they bring in a bigger displacement) and even 2016 Mazda 6 and CX5 that should be coming soon

Hope the wagon will come soon, but now many choices open like BMW 218i AT, Peugeot 308 GT wagon (do hope they bring in a bigger displacement) and even 2016 Mazda 6 and CX5 that should be coming soon

Maybe 6-months or more away yet. Even the hatchback doesn't arrive for another few weeks yet so there's only the saloon today.

There is a big difference in size between the Mondeo and just about every other car. I have it noted down at around 2m wide against a 6 that is about 1.8m wide. It's also longer than the 6-Wagon by 70mm.

Maybe 6-months or more away yet. Even the hatchback doesn't arrive for another few weeks yet so there's only the saloon today.

There is a big difference in size between the Mondeo and just about every other car. I have it noted down at around 2m wide against a 6 that is about 1.8m wide. It's also longer than the 6-Wagon by 70mm.

Could it be that the side mirrors are taken into the width measurement?

3 yrs old no issue doesn't mean anything as it is still new and cover by warranty. Wait till it reach 7 years onwards or maybe earlier. That is the time when part start to fall apart.

One of the reason why many ppls choose Toyota, due to it replace part availability (lead time to find replacement) and cheaper.

Well, maybe I'm lucky. So far, we have no issue w Ford Mondeo Ecoboost. It's 3 years old and at 80,000 km.

The warranty is 5 years / 100,000 km. The litmus test would be after 100,000 km.

(edited)

3 yrs old no issue doesn't mean anything as it is still new and cover by warranty. Wait till it reach 7 years onwards or maybe earlier. That is the time when part start to fall apart.

One of the reason why many ppls choose Toyota, due to it replace part availability (lead time to find replacement) and cheaper.

Do you even realize what rubbish you're typing. Parts start to fall apart? You mean to say that every other manufacturer apart from Toyota makes cars that apparently disintegrate after 7 years?

Edited by Nullifi3d

the mondeo's width is 1852mm. with mirrors, it is 2121mm.

the previous mondeo was 1886mm in width. (2092mm with mirros).

With the side mirrors it's 2121mm so i already took a bit off.

↡ Advertisement